Jira Automation doesn't assign a user to a cloned issue

Leons Gumba May 13, 2024

Hello! We are using both Jira Service Management and Jira Software in our company. Our users have a service desk front-end where they are able to create requests. After the creation, those requests appear in our JSM.

We have a project in Jira Software for our Compliance team. They want all of the compliance-related requests to appear not only in JSM but also in that Jira project.

I have set up a Jira Automation rule to clone those issues from service desk to their Compliance Jira project. This rule works perfectly well and clones all of the requests without any issues:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 151127.png

The Compliance team also asked me to assign all of those issues to a specific user, thus I created this rule as well:

Screenshot 2024-05-13 151405.png

The problem is that when an issue is cloned, the assignee field remains empty. However, when I create a new issue directly on the board and leave the assignee field unassigned, the desired user is successfully assigned as the assignee.

Why does it work when creating issues in the project itself but doesn't work with the cloned issues?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

@Leons Gumba The way that automation works is that the automation only runs if there is an action to trigger it, unfortunately for what you are trying the first automation is not providing a trigger for the second one.

There are a few things you could do:

(1) In the the rule details of the first automation check the checkbox at the bottom of the rule (Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.):

Check rule.png

(2) set up the clone issue task in your first automation to include the assignee, by clicking on '⚙ Choose fields to set...' and then selecting assignee from the list (which would remove the need for the second automation, so I would suggest doing this):

Choose assignee.png

(3) Put in a branch in your first automation for most recently created issue, followed by a step to assign the to the required assignee 

Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2024

A couple of questions though:

• Why are you cloning a ticket both when created and when updated?  This will keep raising a cloned ticket every time a change is made to the original ticket.

• Have you considered the option of creating a board in their project with a filter something like:

Project = "Your JSM" and "Request Type" = "Compliance Request"

This will allow you to have only one ticket for each request and allow any comments from compliance to be provided to the requester.
Leons Gumba May 14, 2024

@Stephen_Lugton thank you so much for your response and your suggestions!! You really helped me out here. I decided that your second suggestion with '⚙ Choose fields to set...' is the easiest one to implement, so I have just added the desired person to the Assignee field there.

And now it works! Yes, about the "update issue" trigger - it is redundant indeed, so I removed it and only left the "create issue" trigger.

Again, thank you so much for your help! And for explaining how automation runs in terms of triggers.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events