Jira Automation - Prevent sub task being created

Vishal Biyani
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2021

Using Jira Automation, is it possible to avoid creation of Sub-task for IssueType = "Initiative"?

The Initiative has been configured using Advanced Roadmap to be above Epic. I can't use project setting to stop creating sub-task for all standard issue type

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

Hi @Vishal Biyani,

The proper way to solve this issue is to create a separate Jira project for your initiative issues (only the initiatives) and make sure the issue type scheme for that project only has the initiative issue type associated with it.

That way you won't be able to associate sub-tasks with your initiatives. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2021

interesting. i don't use initiatives (yet) but wonder what the implications of this would be in how the initiative data is presented w/in the other project holding epics/stories/sub-tasks. again, no experience w/ initiatives here.

Vishal, regarding Automation, keep in mind that it works "post creation" so the sub-task would already be created before any rule would run. You might be able to unwind that using automation, maybe move the issue to a task or close the sub-task, etc. but that is pretty messy and would confuse users I expect.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

@Jack Brickey,

The hierarchy is only visible in its full glory in advanced roadmaps (or e.g in a marketplace app like Structure or similar, where you can extend the classic Jira hierarchy you refer to).

In Jira you will see the initiatives linked as the Parent issue of an Epic. Stories can't be linked to initiatives directly, as they need the Epic level in between to connect all the dots. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

thanks Walter! I really need to spend some time on all of the new AR and Initiative stuff. just buried and challenged by the degree of changes coming to Jira/JSM cloud at the moment. Understand the parent relationship between stories-initiatives. just like sub-tasks - epics.

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events