Jira Automation: Converting a Subtask into a Task issue type

Stephen C Hauer September 8, 2022

Hey guys, I had this working about a month ago and it no longer works for me. Im using Jira Cloud and Im hoping someone can point me to the solution.

Please note: I want this to be automated and dont want to use the manual "..." convert to issue type.

I want to be able to change issue type = Subtask into an Task issue type during a transition. Idea being when an body of work hits a certain stage I want to unparent the subtasks and change them into their own issues. Once converted I then will auto assign them to different Individual Contributors. 

Any help or guidance in this area would be greatly appreciated!
-Stephen

2 answers

0 votes
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

Hello @Stephen C Hauer 

This seems like an interesting use case - why would you want to keep as sub-tasks in the first place? if they move independently across a workflow but you need to keep them linked to a parent ticket, it would be better to create a link type "parent/child" with "is child of" and "is parent of" inward/outward links, then create your tasks, link them to the parent using the issue link functionality, then use automation to remove the link once it reaches a certain stage in your workflow.

Sub-tasks aren't meant to live independently of their parent during their entire lifecycle.

Could you expand on your use case a little more?

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2022

Hello @Stephen C Hauer 

You said you had this working a month ago. Please provide a copy of your automation rule, details of how it is no longer working, and a copy of the audit log for an execution that ran but didn't work as you expected.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events