Jira Admin can't see all agile boards

James Webster July 11, 2013

I'm a Jira administrator (and since I'm the only admin, presumably Greenhopper too) and one of my colleages has managed to create a scrum board that I can't see.

How can I fix it so that I can see ALL agile boards please?

7 answers

1 accepted

18 votes
Answer accepted
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2013

David is correct. When boards are setup, the user selects a project and it creates a default filter that is setup to be shared with individuals that have access to the project. However, you can then change the filter or recreate a new one and associate it to the board. Often, users have their filter definition setup to save and be private (not shared with anyone). They would need to share with the same project or everyone. We typically have our users filter saving permissions setup to share with Everyone by default to avoid this as this was an initial problem when we started to using JIRA -- users thought anyone could see their filters.

3 votes
Alicia Pena February 21, 2017

How can you even see who owns the board to request access (which is really silly coming from an admin) f you can't even view it?!  Someone asked me to delete an old board, he can't do it, he said it tells him to contact an admin.  I'm an admin and can't even see it!

2 votes
AndreasS July 20, 2014

As an admin you can install the open source User Switcher for JIRA add-on and use it to switch to the user who is the current admin of the board, go to the board administration and change it properly. Be aware that you also have to be the owner of the filter which is linked to the board!

0 votes
Sean Stoner June 5, 2015

Vote for GHS-5576

Lee Meinecke November 27, 2019

I just did

0 votes
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 12, 2013

Has your colleague shared the filter for that board with you? If you do not have access to the filter which the board is based on, you will not have access to the board.

David Hergert _PAYX_ April 17, 2014

What James is asking for is the ability to administer all boards (not SEE them).

For example, an Administrator cannot view every filter (which is good), however, in the Admin area they can search and list ALL filters regardless of permissions, which allows them to change permissions, change owner, etc. This is especially useful when someone creates a Filter that everyone uses and leaves the company, or a user isn't sure why people can't see their Filter and an Admin needs to assist.

James is asking for something similar with boards, which as far as I can tell, is not possible at this time.

OlgaP December 17, 2015

Not agree that it can be helpful in boards administration !!! As administrator you can change owner of filter , but if you are not a member of specific group, you can't share this filter with this group. Then there is no way to admin board (as admin) without to be a member of required team. But administrator shouldn't belong to all groups in jira !!!! correct ? Your proposal for admins in this situation ? P.S. voting for GHS-5576 too.

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2016

Ah, the usual situation:

a) Unfixed Atlassian bug
b) Atlassian will never fix it because only few people vote for a fix

c) Plugin developers abuse answers.atlassian.com to sell plugins

Like Michael Daoust likes this
Deleted user February 5, 2018

... never ending tragedy?

Chaim Eliyah March 6, 2018

but of course plugins aren't a "security breach" :p

Like Vessie Dracheva likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2013

Jira admin means "person who can admin Jira". It does NOT give you "can see/do everything", that's a bad model.

You need to go into the project(s) and check that you have "browse" permission one way or another, in order to see the boards etc. And if you want to be able to change stuff, project admin as well.

I realise that, but surely an admin should be able to change it so that they can. As it happens, the `administrators` group has all permissions for the given project and the board can't be seen

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 30, 2016

Sorry, but that's bullshit. As an Admin, I get asked by users to configure their boards for them, then I have to go tell them how to add me so I can even see the damn board? 
Also it's inconsistent, since in Confluence, a Confluence Admin can see anything, even stuff that's been protected both with Space Permissions and Page Restrictions. 

Like Dustin Ghia likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2016

Sorry, what's bullshit?  Responding to a 3 year old answer that probably isn't valid any more?

(The good security model is still there, but has been extended so that admins can give themselves the permissions, as per Confluence)

Johan Geens February 1, 2017

Windows admins can do anything. Anything. Even see what you're doing, live. 
A top-level-admin should be able to do/perform/reach anything in the environment which he manages.
Yes, in Jira the admin can mod the filter, but that's annoying: you always have to go to the filters and start from there... We have +400 boards currently and +1000 shared filters! And oh: the filter must be shared in order to administer it. And: don't forget to return the ownership of the filter to the original owner when you're done.
Still beyond comprehend that a JIRA admin cannot administer the boards in full whithout annoying manipulations - which renders this Atlassian's restriction useless at the end after all!

Like Dustin Ghia likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 1, 2017

No, that's an awful awful security model, and one that has led to so. many. security. breaches.

You are right about the filter (and while we're there, board and dashboard) admin though.  It's a pain in the neck, and an admin should be able to manage them better.

Although I'd still want to make it hard - as a user, just because you're an admin doesn't mean I'm happy with you changing my filters/boards/dashboards without my permission. 

IT Team December 28, 2018

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 28, 2018

It's a security model that does not work, and leads to breaches.  It makes security procedures a lot harder to write, check or enforce.  Coding has nothing to do with the failures I've seen it cause (bugs and poor design can fail you no matter what the model)

There is no question that granting admin automatic "all" permission is a disaster as a security model and should never happen.  Escalation is irrelevant (and too late).  It also has other advantages in that you can skip the need for impersonation, you can ring fence data so it doesn't get in the way and it makes everything far more auditable.

There is no flaw in the security model in general, but Jira Software has a known failure in making the list of boards not available to admins (later versions of Jira have fixed the dashboard and filter problem)

IT Team December 31, 2018

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 31, 2018

No, it clearly does NOT work, or I wouldn't have wasted vast amounts of my career fixing the problems caused by it, and moving large companies off systems that have broken security models.

Please, read the conversation above properly and learn that "admin can do everything" is a massive stupid failure in every way.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2013

You need to give youself all permissions. It is not true that because you are the administrator you have all permissions. It depends on your permission scheme and group definitions.

This is my trouble. Administrators have all permissions I can find... all Global Permissions and all permissions for the scheme asssociated with the project in question

Suggest an answer