Jira API and SelectList with REST

shawnfarmer633 May 4, 2012

I'm trying to create an issue with custom fields. I have a custom field that is a selectlist. I pass in the following JSON:

{
"fields": {
"project": {
"key": "KEY"
},
"summary": "This is a test from the jira api",
"description": "Some description",
"issuetype": {
"id": "1"
},
"customfield_1": [
{
"id": "1234"
}
],
"customfield_2": [ // THIS IS THE SELECTLIST
{
"name": "1234"
}
]
}
}

I get back: Could not find valid 'id' or 'value' in the Parent Option object.

I've tried several different variations, none of which have worked. What is the correct way of sending a value for a custom selectlist?

4 answers

3 votes
Cyril_Bitterich June 25, 2012

I think it might actually be easier, if you could post the result of

http://localhost:8090/rest/api/2/issue/createmeta?projectKeys=KEY&issuetypeIds=1&expand=project.issuetypes.fields

I can actually use

"customfield_10000":[{"value":"First Value"},{"value":"Second Value"}]

and

"customfield_10200":{"value":"Four"}

customfield_10000 is a of the type "Multi Select" and customfield_10200 is of the type "Select List" .

(And I can use "id" as well)

What grates on my nerves is that with the "built in" field types the key is "name" and with the custom fields it's "value" .

0 votes
Vitaliy Ko June 8, 2014

Hi, i have custom multiselect field, this my POST:

{

"update": {

"comment": [

{

"add": {

"body": "Bug has been fixed."

}

}

]

},

"transition":

{

"id": "42"

},

"fields":

{

"customfield_10313": [{ "value": "10360" }]

}

}

But i have 400 error.If i POST

{

"update": {

"comment": [

{

"add": {

"body": "Bug has been fixed."

}

}

]

},

"transition":

{

"id": "42"

}

}

Without fields, i have 204 but noting happen, i think this custom field is required. What is wrong?

0 votes
Nick Swider March 25, 2013

I had the original problem with a regular select. It takes an "id" field, not "name" or "value".

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2012
According to the tutorial https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+REST+API+Example+-+Create+Issue you should use "value" instead of "name" if customfield_2 is a multiselect custom field.

please also note that you have to use "name" if the field is a single select custom field and no [ ... ] brackets.

EDIT: The tutorial is not correct regarding the example for select lists. If you want to provide the custom field option value by name one has to use the attribute "value", not "name". At least this is the behaviour i have observed in 5.1m2

I tried that and I get the same error. Here is the JSON as it looks now:

{
"key": "KEY"
},
},
"customfield_1": [
{
"id": "1234"
}
],
"customfield_2": { // THIS IS THE SELECTLIST
"name": "1234"
}
}
}

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2012
What i don't understand in your example is the id of your custom fields. Custom fields can't have and id of 1 or 2 or is this just to make the example more readable? What are the exact types of your custom fields when you display them in Administration - Issues - Fields ?

It's just to add clarity, not to confuse. The exact types of the custom fields that are in question are commented in the example. The one giving me issues is a select list, or drop down list if you prefer.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2012

I have now verified it in my own test project what really works. Please note this:

1. You always need to use "value", not "name" (for multiselect and select fields). The documentation in the tutorial is not correct.

2. If you use comments in the request this confuses the parser. Don't use comments in the JSON post data

I've got the following working:

{
      "key": "TESTDIETER"
    },
    },
    "customfield_10000": [ {  "value": "Cosy" }, {"value":"Loud"} ], 
    "customfield_10100": {  "value": "Brasil" } 
  }
}

customfield_10000 is a multiselect field, customfield_10100 is a select list field. This works on 5.1m2 (not tested yet with 5.0.3)

Here is my new JSON. Also note, the comments were only here in the post. I have no comments in the code.

{
"key": "TEST"
},
},
"customfield_10000": [
{
"value": "1234"
}
],
"customfield_10100": {
"value": "1234"
}
}
}

Now it tells me

{"errorMessages":[],"errors":{"customfield_10000":"Option value '1234' is not valid","customfield_10100":"Option id 'null' is not valid"}}

1234 in this example is a valid value for both fields. That has been verified.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2012
I assume you have replaced 10000 and 10100 by the id's of your custom field ...

That was just for the example.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2012
The only thing i can imagine with the first custom field option 1234 is that it might contain a leading or trailing blank when you added the option. Are you sure the second custom field is really a multi select field and not a cascading select field? The values for these two types of fields must be specified differently in the JSON request (check the tutorial)

When you create the issue manually, can you select the options 1234 bor both fields? If not it might be because the options are not configured in the project specific configuration context of the custom field. In that case of course the JSON request will also fail.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2012
If all the previous fails, you should get information about the valid date on create. Please use this request and post the result so we can check what the valid input is:

http://localhost:8090/rest/api/2/issue/createmeta?projectKeys=TEST&expand=project.issuetypes.fields
shawnfarmer633 May 6, 2012

The field in question is not a multiselect. it is just a regular select. i have checked the tutorial, which is why I am here.

JIRA_USER September 21, 2016

I have almost the same issue.

image2016-9-21 13:38:15.png

Now, when I try to create a bug using cURl, I get error message as

image2016-9-21 13:36:24.png

My jason script is

image2016-9-21 13:39:44.png

But if i do "ID" instead of value im good. its working fine. My requirement is that I should not use ID because if I use ID it will always create a bug only with that ID. So how would i be able to use value instead of ID. Please advice.

Suggest an answer