Jira 8.0.2 Server - Health Check: Thread Limit Issue

Jack April 26, 2019

While there is a lot of talk about setting limits.conf with a series of limit increases, There is one comment at the very bottom of the article Health Check: Thread Limit Issue that actually gets the problem solved for Ubuntu Linux.

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, uses systemd which ignores the system ulimits. To correct the limit issue in Ubuntu it is that 2nd, less notable comment on the KnowledgeBase Page that looks to have solved the issue. That being setting the limits in <servicename>.service.

/etc/systemd/system is were the Atlassian files confluence.service and jira.service are located. Inside each of these files are two lines, LimitNOFILE and LimitNPROC. Each are set to 2048. I reset them from 2048 to 5120. Reboot the server, check the software and limit warning is gone in this version of Ubuntu.

I know that Atlassian prefers to have these limits set in the OS but Jira and Confluence are ignoring the ulimit changes made in limits.conf. (And yes, adding changes in limits.conf worked fine for ulimit.) For now, I returned limits.conf to its original config, kept a copy of the modified file so I can go back to it later should things change.

So my question is; Are making the limit changes on the two .service files acceptable for the install? Are they depreciated by Atlassian in any way for future releases?

Thank you in advance for any comments, suggestions, corrections.

Jack

0 answers

Suggest an answer