Jira 5.2: Stale issue object is being re-indexed after workflow transition

We are in the process of upgrading our Jira instance from 4.3.4 to 5.2 and we have encountered an issue similar to https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31775 in our testing environment.

Before the upgrade, the issues were being re-indexed fine after the workflow transition with custom post functions to update the issue fields. But after the upgrade, once an issue takes a transition with custom post-function, the issue has the correct status in the database but shows an old one in Issue Navigator which is definitely a re-index issue. After debugging through the atlassian jira 5.2 source code several times, I noticed the changes done to the way the issues were being re-indexed during a workflow transition. In 5.2, the indexing is held for the duration of the transition and all the re-index requests are added to a queue of type collection (Set<Issue>). At the end of the transition, the indexing is released and at that point all the issue object held in the queue are indexed. But as highlighted in the bug raised (JRA-31775), Set does not change if the element is already present in it.

We believe the fix suggested in JRA-31775 will solve the issue that we are facing but since we are not in a position to wait for 5.2.9 release, can you please provide us with a patch to fix the bug? We will update to a later version with the bug fixed as and when its released.

3 answers

0 votes

They seem to be recommending people contact support for this, but can't you just download the version with the fix and the previous version, and create your own patch file? Should be obvious which class it is.

Thanks for your response Jamie. The fix is part of 5.2.9 which has not been released yet else we would have upgraded to that version. The fix oulined in JRA-31775 looks pretty simple and I have customised the Jira source code to incorporate that fix which has solved the problem we were having with indexing. But it would given us more confidence if we had a patch or the source files that were fixed for this bug before going live with 5.2 upgrade just to ensure that we won't see any other index related issues in production.

0 votes

Fair enough, I see what you mean.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,139 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot