Jira 4.3 returning Java.Lang.NullPointerException

pankaj hooda September 15, 2016
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.ExtendedWorklogCFType.validateFromParams(ExtendedWorklogCFType.java:132)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.validateParams(CustomFieldImpl.java:702)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndPopulateParams(DefaultIssueService.java:749)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateAndUpdateIssueFromFields(DefaultIssueService.java:562)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateTransition(DefaultIssueService.java:461)
	at com.atlassian.jira.bc.issue.DefaultIssueService.validateTransition(DefaultIssueService.java:482)
	at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.issue.CommentAssignIssue.doValidation(CommentAssignIssue.java:181)
	at webwork.action.ActionSupport.validate(ActionSupport.java:391)
	at webwork.action.ActionSupport.execute(ActionSupport.java:162)...........

This issue is coming when i try to resolve/close any issue in JIRA.Please suggest.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2016

You've got a broken validator or field.  I'd lean towards it being a field, but don't want to rule out a validator without more information.

Could you check the validators on the workflow transition you're trying to run - are there any?  If there are, what are they?

If you don't have validators, then you need to look at the fields.  From the name, it looks like you have some add-on that provides an extra field type which you'll need to identify.  I'd try disabling the add-on providing any non-JIRA custom fields (look for ones that relate to work logs) and try it again.  If that fixes it, at least you know it's something to do with the fields.

Suggest an answer