Jira 4.2 -> 5.2

What's the best path to go from 4.2 -> 5.2? Do I have to do EVERY incremental upgrade or can I 'skip' releases?

3 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

The recommended method is to upgrade on two phase actually, first to 4.4 (or 4.3.x-4.4.x) then to 5.1. This is to ensure that the major migration process done in one upgrade phase so that the troubleshooting process will be easier if something happen.

For your information, JIRA 4.3.x-4.4.x is where the user migration occurred, then you could go straight to 5.x. However as describe earlier, it is recommended to upgrade to 4.4.x.

Before performing any upgrade on production please test the upgrade on a test instance.

Rahul

Daryl Chuah Atlassian Team Jan 22, 2013

My recommendation would be 4.2 -> 4.4 -> 5.2

For more detailed information on the upgrading process, you can refer to this documentation : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA

if you plant to migrate JIRA to another server on the process of upgrading, you can refer to this documentation as well:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

Please do take not that If you are migrating your JIRA, you might want to take note that your JIRA attachment files are not in your database, or in any XML backups, rather you would have to transfer the file from your old JIRA Home to your new JIRA Home.

It should work directly from 4.2 to 5.2. And which ever method you try, please try on a test system before attempting the production system.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted 16 hours ago in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

42 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you