Jira 4.2 -> 5.2

MichaelM January 21, 2013

What's the best path to go from 4.2 -> 5.2? Do I have to do EVERY incremental upgrade or can I 'skip' releases?

3 answers

1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013

The recommended method is to upgrade on two phase actually, first to 4.4 (or 4.3.x-4.4.x) then to 5.1. This is to ensure that the major migration process done in one upgrade phase so that the troubleshooting process will be easier if something happen.

For your information, JIRA 4.3.x-4.4.x is where the user migration occurred, then you could go straight to 5.x. However as describe earlier, it is recommended to upgrade to 4.4.x.

Before performing any upgrade on production please test the upgrade on a test instance.

Rahul

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2013

It should work directly from 4.2 to 5.2. And which ever method you try, please try on a test system before attempting the production system.

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 22, 2013

My recommendation would be 4.2 -> 4.4 -> 5.2

For more detailed information on the upgrading process, you can refer to this documentation : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA

if you plant to migrate JIRA to another server on the process of upgrading, you can refer to this documentation as well:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

Please do take not that If you are migrating your JIRA, you might want to take note that your JIRA attachment files are not in your database, or in any XML backups, rather you would have to transfer the file from your old JIRA Home to your new JIRA Home.

Suggest an answer