Javascript error when accessing board in Jira

ANDERSON MACHADO OURIQUES January 3, 2018

Hi guys,

I am having the following issue when accessing any board in Jira:

Exception: Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token )

jira-error.jpg

After analyzing the logs and the javascripts I found that the problem is being triggered by an "eval" function inside the stringify function (see images below):

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 9.18.07 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-03 at 9.17.53 AM.png

I've tried to restart Jira and that didn't solve the problem. I've also tried to use it in safe mode and to disable all the add-ons that could be causing this issue, but the problem persists.

JIRA Info:

Version 7.1.9
Build Number 71013
Build Date Mon Jun 27 00:00:00 EDT 2016
Build Revision 1aa0586d78efb7ed8b3de5c648d4b24912070b66
Atlassian Partner
Installation Type Standalone

System Info:

Java Version 1.8.0_74
Java Vendor Oracle Corporation
JVM Version 1.8
JVM Vendor Oracle Corporation
JVM Implementation Version 25.74-b02
Java Runtime Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
Java VM Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM
User Name jira
User Timezone America/New_York
User Locale English (United States)
System Encoding UTF-8
Operating System Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64
OS Architecture amd64
Application Server Container Apache Tomcat/8.0.33
Database type mysql

Any help is appreciated.

PS: No budget to upgrade Jira at this moment, so that isn't an option.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

The problem was caused by the Chrome Extension GRAMMARLY that was appending JS to Jira fields.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi Anderson,

Thanks for the follow up and I'm glad you were able to find the issue locally!

Cheers,

Branden

0 votes
ANDERSON MACHADO OURIQUES February 5, 2018

The problem was caused by the Chrome Extension GRAMMARLY. When the extension is deactivated the error doesn't happen. What Grammarly does is to add some javascript to text boxes, so that their system can verify typos, etc. That javascript was causing the issue.

I have contacted Grammarly, but they didn't provide any ETA to fix the problem.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2018

Thanks for circling back and letting us know  I have seen a number of issues with the Grammerly browser extension and there is now a knowledge base that addresses this with the recommendation to disable the add-on.

Please keep up to date with Grammerlys support site for any news on a fix.

a1b0r February 6, 2018

Is it can be helpful to update JIRA from 7.1.6 to 7.7?

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
January 3, 2018

Hi Anderson,

There is an article titled Exception: Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ILLEGAL while using Agile board that may help with this.  This can be caused by:

• A javascript that is appended to JIRA through fields/announcement banner
  • The javascript might have syntax error or operation that conflicts with JIRA

To resolve the issue please try the following:

• Turn on safe mode in JIRA Administration > Add-ons > Manage Add-ons > Turn on Safe Mode to check if any add-ons that is causing this. Retest.
  • Remove the Javascript by checking at Announcement Banner (g+g > search for announcement banner)
  • Run the following sql in your database to find which fields holds the JS

SELECT * FROM fieldlayoutitem WHERE lower(description) LIKE '%javascript%';

Hopefully this helps!  If it does not and you still run into this issue after trying the resolution let me know and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

First of all, thank you for your help, but unfortunately, none of those solutions worked. As far as I can see it has to do with the greenhopper plugin. Not sure what exactly.

Suggest an answer