It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Java question pertaining to Jira and all Atlassian apps Edited

Since Atlassian apps require Java and some come with it and some don't ( jira self-contained) confluence|bitbucket|...  you need to install it and it's sometimes confusing. I've looked for best practices and find lots of irrelevant answers pertaining to this other than "you can change your java to ..."

So this becomes annoying when you have to go and register certs for application linking. The last time I did it I had certs in the on the jdk1.8 that was installed into RHEL 7 and others pointing to the apps. 

whats the best practice install java create the java home and then set all your apps to the standard java install? I'm inclined to do that in case other people need to work on the app's config or if there are new keys to add.  Maybe its in the install guides but I have looked pretty thoroughly and haven't found a good answer

1 answer

0 votes
Dario Atlassian Team Oct 08, 2019

Hi @seiberte ,

There are no best practices docs available on this since it really depends on the individual needs (and technical skills).

Indeed, even if there are some installation best practices pages available like, for example, the "JIRA Installation Recommendations", Not much is mentioned on this topic.

On the other hand, as written in the Installing Jira applications on Linux from archive file documentation page:

This method gives you the most control over the installation process.

In your case, having different products installed on the same machine, it can make sense to have all of them using the same JVM. 

This is what I use to do as well, having a lot of different Jira versions installed on the same machine for testing purposes, I install the chosen JDK only once and then I only download the .tar.gz (that does not include any jvm) for each product.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dario

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

334 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you