JQL

Richard May 13, 2021

I need to use JQL with my JIRA so that I can perform nested if then statements and do more extensive data hygiene on my JIRA database.  I need to know how I can find out whether I have JQL and if so how to install it or start utilizing it?

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

Hi @Richard 

Everyone has JQL provided they have access to JIRA. Simply put it is a search feature available to anyone who can access JIRA.

As for what results you will get, it depends on what project permissions you have. Your search would always only return results for projects and issues you can see in JIRA itself.

If you have a more specific question then do clarify.

Richard May 13, 2021

Thank you for a quick response.  I have access to most if not all my JIRA projects.  How can I start using JQL?

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2021

Go to Issues > Search for Issues in your JIRA instance. See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/advanced-searching-939938733.html

If you are using a script then please refer to JIRA Server API or parse your search via Rest API.

I hope this helps.

Regards.

Richard May 13, 2021

Does the advanced filter "JQL"  allow me perform nested if then statements?  for example if "Closed Date" contains a date and "Status" isn't closed provide me all the JIRAS that contain these variables?

Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2021

Hi @Richard 

Your nested if conditions are simply as follows:

1. Start with your main condition and compare them
  2. Use brackets and operators like And/Or to compare further 
  3. The more comparison you need the more brackets

For example your question about about closed date(I am winging this as I am not using exact operator allowed based on fields):

((‘closed date’ is not empty AND statusCategory != Done) AND variable = ‘your variable’)

This is how you build nested conditions.

Regards.

Richard May 13, 2021

Got it!  Thank you so much!  Can you tell me how would you go about saying in a function.  If there is no data in a field for any of the Issues.  Or flag any issues that do not have a field populated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

<field> is empty

Will list all issues where a field is valid for an issue, but has currently not got a value.

Like Ismael Jimoh likes this
Richard May 13, 2021

We are on a role.  So here is one.  So I have created 6 filters and brought them into a dashboard.  Used a particular gadget to display all of them. Each one is signifies an error that needs to be fixed within JIRA.  How would I create a bar graph that displays assignee Name at the bottom and total number of all the errors each assignee has?  Which would be totaling up each filter/error.  IS there a way to do that?  Would I have to create a filter that totals all the other filters?  Is that Possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2021

If you would be ok with a 90 degree turn, just use seven filter statistic gadgets (yes, you'll need a 7th saved filter that includes all the definitions of the other six).

A filter statistics gadget's important parameters are "filter to summarise" and "field to group by".  You can see where I'm going with the first, the second is obviously "assignee"

Richard May 13, 2021

Nic you guys have just summed up all the work that I have been doing for 3 months.  And I started with the company in January.  Now my team is coming to me to assist them with their dashboards.  Thank you guys!

Like Ismael Jimoh likes this
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2021

You are welcome.

Richard May 18, 2021

Hi after Nic Brought answered my last question.  I have completed what he has stated.  And it works.  Now I built a graph that counts all the "Business Rules'" whic hare 6.  Each business rule is a filter on my dashboard.  then the graph summing all the issues within ewach business rule by following Nic's advice above.  However it is counting each error within each business rule.  However it doesn't count distinct errors within each business rule.  Can someone guide me on how to do that within a filter?  The filter that Nic has stated to build in his last post to me.

Richard May 20, 2021

Has anyone gotten a chance to answer this? Also Is there logic in JQL to perform calculations?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2021

JQL simply finds issues that match a question.  It has nothing to do with how you show the results to people.

You've say "distinct errors within a business rule".  I'm not sure what you're looking for here, but JQL is just going to find a list of issues matching "issue has an error" or however else you are defining it.  It's got nothing to say about what is inside the issue, it just finds them.

It's up to your reporting to think about "distinct errors" and "calculations".

I say "your reporting", but all we've looked at so far is the off-the-shelf reporting.  I would guess that there probably isn't a gadget or report that can extract the errors, but I don't know how you're recording them, so I am not 100% sure.  Equally, it would be hard to suggest an app that might be able to generate the report you need, beyond the very powerful ones that can do all-the-things like Eazybi

Suggest an answer