JQL wildcard search of version list like fixVersion

The basic question: Is there a way to do a wildcard search of a list rather than just in a text field. We are maintaining several major releases of software at a time(when a big customer says NO to the next major release and pays for support on the current release, who are we to say). i.e. example of unreleased versions:

12.0.3, 12.0.4, 12.1.1, 12.2.0

11.0.14, 11.0.15

9.1.1. 9.1.2

My PV manager wants to create a wildcard of only the 12.* versions. Currently, the only way to get around this is to individually list each of the 12 versions. i.e.

AND fixVersion in ("12.0.0", "12.0.1","12.0.2")

If I try 'AND fixVersion in ("12.*")', it results in the error: The value '12.*' does not exist for the field 'fixVersion'.

This is a pretty basic search capability so I'm hoping, it's just a misunderstanding on my part.

7 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Looks like there is no answer yet but I keep getting those nagging emails that this issues is unresolved. If you are reading this then your best hope is to vote for JRA-24152.

Brent,

What do you mean by custom field lists? Looking at the original question, this should be possible by JQL Tricks.

However, it still remains paid. So can't help with that ;)

As far as I can understand the commerical JQL Tricks (grrrrrr, I hate being nickel'd and dime'd to death) cannot handle custom field lists but now I'm getting daily nag emails to close out this issue so I'll answer it.

So, there no working solutions without paid extensions?

The mentioned JIRA (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24152) references a solution using JQLTricks which works for me, e.g.

fixVersion in versionMatches('Sprint.*')

There was a free plugin, which supported VersionList - but I can't find it (as it's disappeared during an upgrade yesterday)

Thanks, the above worked for me as well, however I was trying another trick but didn't work

issueFunction in issueFieldMatch("labels = <myLabel>", "fixVersion", "FY-18 *")

It errors saying couldn't find the fieldname fixVersion, whereas it's a valid field. Has anyone tried this to do wildcard search in non-text fields

Syntax - issueFieldExactMatch

issueFieldExactMatch (subquery, fieldname, regexp)

Hi Brent,

From JIRA 4.3 onwards you can use ff:12* (for Fix For Version) and v:12* (Affects Version) in the Quick Search box (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/Using+Quick+Search), but it looks like this is not impemented in JQL yet and is an open feature request (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24152)

Wildcard searches are available in JQL (http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-CONTAINS), but only for free text fields.

Hope that's of some help,

Andrew.

Thanks for the quick reply but it misses the mark.

The Quick Search method is more of a macro that substitutes the current list of 12.* versions into the search of affectedVersion or fixVersion lists. I can't save it as a dynamic filter but rather a hardcoded list of versions at the time I involved the Quick Search.

As for CONTAINS, as you stated, it only works for text based fields.

I'll left this query open for a while, in hopes that someone can propose a workaround.

BTW, I voted for JRA-24152, thanks

I ended up using the Script Runner plugin which has several JQL functions including matchVersion. Works great.

You can do ">=" and "<" to limit certain version range.

For example "fixVersion >= 0.24.0 AND < fixVersion 0.25.0"

Unfortunately it will provide different results see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-22995

Unfortunately you cannot use wildcards using native Jira methods.

You can use a FREE app called JQL Booster Pack and use the versionMatches() JQL function to get the requested functionality

------

Examples:

• Find issues affected by versions that ther name starts with 'v1' i.e. 'v1.1.0', 'v1.2', 'v1.1.6', etc:

affectedVersion IN versionMatches("v1.*")

• Find issues fixed in versions that ther name contains 'alpha':

fixVersion IN versionMatches(".*alpha.*")

• Find issues affected by versions that ther name starts with 'SNAPSHOT' i.e. 'v1.1-SNAPSHOT', 'v1.5-NIGHTLY_SNAPSHOT', etc:

affectedVersion IN versionMatches(".*SNAPSHOT")

Starting from Jira 7.9.0 you can use the following expression to search for "12.*" versions from your example

fixVersion ~ "12.*"

Could you please point to the doc on that future?

See Advanced searching - operators reference documentation for CONTAINS (~) operator.

On JIRA Cloud:

The operator '~' is not supported by the 'fixVersion' field.

When will this be added in Jira cloud?

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

224 views 3 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you