JQL to send notification on Resolved tickets for every 5 days

Madineni November 20, 2020

Hi, I have a request from client that, once the ticket is resolved and not closed then for every 5 days once a notification should be triggered to the assignee to close the ticket.

For this I've written an automation which is scheduled for every day. It checks the following condition, if it is true an email should be sent.

project=xyz AND status=resolved AND updated <=-5d.

This will trigger a notification every day after 5 days of issue resolved but not closed.

But the requirement is, the notification should be triggered on 5th day, 10th day, 15th day, 20th day,......of ticket resolved but not closed.

Portion of the workflow:

ChangInProgress-->Resolved-->Closed(here resolution is set as Done)

and no resolution was set in Resolved status.

Help me out in writing suitable JQL for the situation

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

Hi @Madineni,

Your JQL statement doesn't look too far off. May I suggest a different approach and/or an extension to your automation instead?

A first option would be to extend your automation so you close the ticket automatically after 5 days. In that case, make sure your client does have the option to reopen the ticket in case it is necessary after all. And maybe add an additional notification after e.g. 3 days to notify the client that the ticket will be closed if there is no further respons within the next 2 days.

A second option would be to update your ticket. Add a date custom field (e.g. notification date) that you update with the current date when the ticket is resolved and on every 5th day, when you send the notification. In that case, you can update your JQL to:

project=xyz AND status=resolved AND "notification date" <=-5d

Both approaches may work. As I assume your main goal is to timely close out tickets that you consider resolved internally, my personal preference is with the first approach. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2020

i was going to suggest the second option as well but a bit different. Use automation to send the notification out. But rather than a notification date just add a comment if notification is triggered, e.g. "notification sent". Then when you JQL runs on say day 6 the issues updated the day before will not be triggered. by having a comment you will see how many of notifications were sent.

Madineni November 23, 2020

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

Thanks for your help. In my case second option will works.

@Jack Brickey Adding comment is another good idea. 

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events