JQL to determine what issues have been added after sprint start

Greg Wissler April 19, 2018

If the Jira Cloud Sprint report can render an * for what items have been added after sprint start, how can I write JQL to do the same thing? From all indications of older posts that, it is not possible, However in 2018 it is crazy that we can't pull this same data out of Jira without spending more money on a plugin if the UI can access this data.

9 answers

1 accepted

16 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Rees June 12, 2019

Vote for JSWSERVER-20097 to have this built into JIRA Server, or JSWCLOUD-16523 for JIRA Cloud, by default.

6 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 2, 2021

To find the issues added after the sprint has started, you can consider using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app you can find out what issues were added after the sprint started:

issue in addedToSprintAfterStart("My board", "Sprint 5")

Make sure to check out the documentation.

I hope it helps!

Chris Christou June 27, 2023

So to find issues that have started after the sprint, we need to install an app? 

Like # people like this
4 votes
Troy Spetz September 18, 2018

We use JIRA 7.12 server version.

We could not find this information, without purchasing a JIRA add-on (Adaptavist Scriptrunner)

Once we had licensed it, the following JQL finds this information:

project = <Project Name> AND issueFunction in addedAfterSprintStart("<Sprint Board Name>") 

Add-on documentation available here.

Eli Moshe October 25, 2018

one problem with this solution (i'm trying to work on the same problem in the last week or so) - the function of addedAfterSprintStart is working on on hosted jira, not on cloud jira.

Greg Wissler October 25, 2018

@Eli Moshe

Same. We tried using scriptrunner but it doesn't have that feature in the cloud either. It really annoys the hell out of me because the data is available in Jira Cloud, based ont he * used in the sprint report indicating what had been added to the sprint, Altassian is just handicapping their cloud product so you'll buy the cloud hosted/on-prem version. Just a dumb, dumb business practice on their part, and making me have to evaluate what other options are out there since they don't want to give the cloud version parity to hosted/on-prem @Atlassian

Sylver_Calfo July 16, 2020

Agreed this is ridiculous this doesn't come out of hte box, but THANK YOU to whoever posted the JQL and tip on JIRA add-on (Adaptavist Scriptrunner). Miracle of miracles my org actually has that add-on and that JQL syntax worked perfectly!!!  I just wish i could have it come up in a Y/N as an actual field, but at least with the results i can compare them against the rest of the items in the sprint to figure out the planned/unplanned work ratio. 

Like # people like this
Kinjal Patel November 19, 2020

Count me in also for this functionality!

Arifulla Arifulla April 21, 2021

@Troy Spetz Thank you for the answer. Could you please specify the query for the past sprints as well.

2 votes
Nelson.Gomes April 11, 2022

You can determine it using Jira Automation.

Create a rule that is triggered when the field Sprint is updated and a condition to check if Sprint is in an OpenSprint(). You can add a flag in Labels and after that, build a JQL query for that Label and you will get the data you desired.

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2022

We do this as our team members need to report on issues added to an active sprint and they need to report on what day they were actually added. 

On the Edit of the issue we set the custom date field to {{now}}.  Probably not perfect, but allows the team to run a JQL for that specific sprint and then they just look for issues where the Added to Active Sprint Date is not Empty

capture-issues-added-to-active-sprint.jpg

Like # people like this
uttam kumar bhatta September 5, 2022

Thanks @Julian Governale for sharing this. I was trying to do the same from long time but is not working for me to get the opensprint() correctly and if condition is failing for me.  Would you mind in sharing the snippet if it is working for me? For your reference adding the snap as well, i have tried different ways as well but no luck.ActiveSprint.png

Can anyone help to cross this stage? It would be a great help.

Carlos Neto September 5, 2022

The condition type is wrong.

You must select JQL Condition. 

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2022

Hi @uttam kumar bhatta , @Carlos Neto is correct, you want to use JQL

jql-condition.png

uttam kumar bhatta September 8, 2022

Thanks @Carlos Neto and @Julian Governale . It worked.

Like Carlos Neto likes this
1 vote
Deleted user February 11, 2020

To follow a sprint update / changes is important so implement this feature as standard functionality

0 votes
Lei-Ann March 5, 2024

Is there still no solution to this since 2018 for Jira Cloud WITHOUT having to install an Add-On??

0 votes
José Castro September 29, 2023

Can you please try :

project = "PROJECT NAME" and issueFunction in addedAfterSprintStart("BOARD NAME") and Sprint in openSprints()
Let me know if it worked :)
0 votes
Dawn Rodney October 21, 2022

Thanks for sharing! I implemented the automation and now I use Jira Cloud for Sheets to automatically run the JQL for each sprint to output the data into a report. 

I am going to play around the automation to track tickets removed from the sprint. I'd like to audit if my teams are adding and removing the same SPs per sprint. Any ideas @carlos neto or @Julian Governale 

Dawn Rodney October 21, 2022

Duh.. just answered my own question. All you need to do is edit the condition type to Value Deleted.

One thing of note, I noticed my labels were getting removed and replaced by the new label. 

Ensure that under the Labels option you select Add/remove values. By default it is set to Set value, which removes existing values and sets the new one.Screen Shot on 2022-10-21 at 14-53-06.png

Like # people like this
Dawn Rodney October 24, 2022

After further testing, this solution doesn't work because the condition is not met after the sprint value is removed. I have a work around solution, which is certainly not as elegant. It basically run an automation if the sprint value is removed to add a label. I then can search for that label at the end of each sprint.

Like Carlos Neto likes this
Carlos Neto January 10, 2023

Good approach!

I wrongly ignored this situation. 

For your curiosity, I adopted a similar approach. I added Add comment to Issue action rather than Add Label when the Sprint field was changed or deleted.

The advantage of my approach is to get easily the date when the delete or change sprint field was made.

Issue Comments are compatible with JQL (without eJQL). Then I can create Filters without Extend Search plugin (eJQL)

Carlos Neto January 10, 2023

Screenshot from 2023-01-10 22-03-10.png

0 votes
Deleted user February 11, 2020

you support many teams and later you want to follow up on changes, then it should be easy to see what has been lifted into the respective teams sprint after it was started

Suggest an answer