It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL to Filter out Kanban Backlog Issues

I am trying to create a filter that does not include items in the Kanban backlog.  These are all in the To Do status, by default, which is the first column on my Board.   I do not want these to appear in the filter results, but cannot find anything other than filtering by status, and not by those items that appear on the Board,. 

1 answer

0 votes

Hi @Todd Heath ,

Can you please try below JQL query.

project = Test AND status not in ("To Do")

Thanks,

Avinash

Unfortunately this will also filter anything in that status, including the items on the Board.  I need to see items that are in the To Do status, on the Board, but not see anything in the Backlog, which has the same status. 

Hi @Todd Heath ,

It depends on your Kanban board filter. Basically you need to write NOT for your board filter. It will be easy if you give us you board filter query.

Thanks,

Avinash

Jack Community Leader Oct 30, 2019

you may have a To Do column on the Kanban board but what status is mapped to it? It will be different that the status that is in the Backlog section of your Backlog board.

As Avinash suggested share your filter and more info about your boards status-column mapping.

Here is the filter so far: 

category = "Public Cloud" AND type = Offer AND (Status = "To Do" OR Status = Expedite OR Status = "In Process" OR Status = Hold OR Status = Blocked)

The status on the card appears as To Do when I create an issue in the backlog.  It is not on the board until I drag it up to it, but the backlog cards are appearing in the filter results.  

Hi @Todd Heath ,

The JQL query seems to be fine for the board , just to check sub filter which may try to hide the some issues from board. Share the sub filter for the kanban board.

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 1.43.20 AM.png

Thanks,

Avinash

Issue type doesn't filter out which of the issue type is in the backlog, and which are on the board. I need to know only those that are on the board, and not in the back lock of every issue type.

Hi @Todd Heath ,

I tried below JQL and it is working for me. can you please check the same

category = "Public Cloud" AND type = Offer AND (Status = Expedite OR Status = "In Process" OR Status = Hold OR Status = Blocked)

I have To-Do status in Kanban backlog and others in board column.

Thanks,

Avinash

That would not include the items on the board that are in the To Do column.  I need to see all cards on the Board.  The status in the Backlog is To Do by default, and the only options available are columns on the Kanban Board.  If any column from the Board is filtered out, then I can no longer see those cards.  I need to see all cards on the Board, excluding those in the Backlog.  The Board and Backlog both contain the To Do status.  The only solution is to be able to filter out those cards that are in the backlog, but I cannot determine how this can be done. 

I don't know if this is something with the Next Gen boards, but I cannot seem to determine how to show only cards on the Board in the filter results.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

314 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you