JQL stopped working

Nita Brumbaugh September 20, 2022

I have this JQL that has been working for over a year:

project = "IT ACE" and reporter = "srv_opsgenieprd@gmrc.com" and description ~ "Organization: Grinnell Mutual Hosted Data Management" and description ~ "Product Name: DataHub" and description !~ " Category: Integration" and (labels != "OpsgenieEntry" and labels != "AceEntry") and (description !~ "Customer Reference")

It is pretty straight forward and not anything fancy.  It stopped working because the description contains the words "Customer" and "Reference".  Not as a phrase together but as two separate phrases in different paragraphs in the description.

The only way I got it to work again is the following:

project = "IT ACE" and reporter = "srv_opsgenieprd@gmrc.com" and description ~ "Organization: Grinnell Mutual Hosted Data Management" and description ~ "Product Name: DataHub" and description !~ " Category: Integration" and (labels != "OpsgenieEntry" and labels != "AceEntry") and (description !~ "Customer Referenc")

I took the "e" off the "Customer Reference" phrase.   This make absolutely no sense to me!!!!

We did have a Jira upgrade before it stopped working. We are on 8.20.10

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2022

HI @Nita Brumbaugh 

To get an exact phrase search try the syntax

description !~ "\"Customer Reference\""

See https://support.atlassian.com/jira-work-management/docs/search-syntax-for-text-fields/

There are lots of other syntax option. e.g. experiment with 

description ~ "Organization: Grinnell Mutual Hosted Data Management" and description ~ "Product Name: DataHub" and description !~ " Category: Integration"

as 

description ~ "Organization: Grinnell Mutual Hosted Data Management" AND "Product Name: DataHub" NOT " Category: Integration"

I guess the description text is coming from an external source as tagged information. They all look like good candidates for custom fields.

Good Luck

Tom

Nita Brumbaugh September 22, 2022

Thank you Tom!  That works!  Just weird that all the other comparisons work except for that one.    Thank you for your help!

Suggest an answer