JQL search to specify a single option in a Multiselect?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Is it possible to write a query that pulls up only issues that have exactly the specified option in their multi-select field?

I have a field, let's call it Color. It's populated with Red, Green, and Blue. Some of the issues have Red and Green, some have Red and Green and Blue, some just have Red. I want a query that pulls up ONLY issues with Red selected in the Color field, no Red and Green and no Red and Blue.

Now, I know I can do something like: "Color" not in (Green, Blue) to pull only Red issues. However this doesn't solve my problem, because my Color field has about sixty potential options. The query would become unwieldy.  "Color" not in (Green, Blue, Yellow, Purple, #234343, Orangred, etc) Furthermore options are added regularly so this would require these JQL Queries to be modified each and every time. 

Is there a better solution?

1 answer

1 vote
Geert Graat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2014

Hi,

You can create a scripted field that returns the number of selected options as suggested in this comment and then use that field in your query. So if you call the field numberOfOptions than it would look like this:

Color = "Red" AND numberOfOptions = 1

Regards,

Geert

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2014

I have upvoted this answer as it fulfills the requirements but I await further help as an additional custom fields are frowned upon for the JIRA instance I am working in.

Suggest an answer