JQL search by Epic Name that contains "ACD" Value in it

Exalya March 11, 2021

Hi all,

I please need help in Jira to create a query/filter that searches all issues that are linked to any Epic that contains "ABCD" value in its name.

PS : I dont have any Plugging or AddOn in my Jira tool.

Thanks a lot !! :))

2 answers

1 vote
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2021

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way to do this in the baseline version of Jira Cloud.

I did a quick search on the Atlassian Marketplace, and did not see a free app that would help for your use-case. There are paid apps that will solve this for you.

The closest thing in JQL is the parentEpic() function, but it only operates on a fixed list of epics. Since baseline JQL doesn't support subqueries, it can't do what you want.

As a workaround, you can do it in two stages. First, find all the epics you want with the first search:

project = "XYZ" and type = Epic and Summary ~ "ABCD"

Then take that list of epics and put them into a second search:

parentEpic in (XYZ-12, XYZ-23, XYZ-34)

Admittedly this is more manual than you want. Hopefully your epics don't change much. You could set up some automation to look for Epics that get added (or edited?), so that you get notified when your second search needs to be updated.

You may also want to review the details of the "contains" operator (aka ~) in case the default fuzzy-matching is more generous than you want. There is syntax for more exact string searched in JQL. More in the docs here.

Hope that helps!

0 votes
shilpa.kn6 November 20, 2022

You can get all child issues of Epics in one query , however when you export this to excel, the Epic names are not exported.

However , one query to fetch Issue keys of the all the required Epics

First query - "Epic Link" in(<<Epic 1>>,<<Epic 2>>,<<Epic 3>>). Export this to excel

and other query to get names of Epic names 

Second query - "issuekey in(<<Issue Key of Epic 1>>,<<Issue Key of Epic 2>>,<<Issue Key of Epic 3>>)" . Export this to excel

VLookup and bidn the two excels to get epic names in the first excel sheet.

Suggest an answer