JQL question: Filter for Epics by label, including all childern below the epics

Alexander Christian March 31, 2023

Hi there,

I want to filter for epics by their labels. This works for now. I get all epics from all projects with a specific label.

But I need all the childern of those epics as well...

Is this possible with Jira Premium (Cloud) by it's default feature set?
If not: Can you recommend an addon for doing this?

best regards,

Alex

2 answers

1 vote
mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Alexander Christian

I’m Maurício, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, using JQL of Jira, you’ll not be able to do it.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to find all your children of epics whose labels is “test” or all your epics whose labels is “test”

issue in childrenOfEpicsInQuery("labels = test”) or type = epic and labels = test

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!
Best regards,
Maurício

Alexander Christian March 31, 2023

Thanks Maurício ...

I watched the walkthrough video and found out, that "childrenOfEpicsInQuery" is a function, that needs to use the app, because the function does not work in normal filter query. 

I want to use the query results in dashboards and advanced roadmaps. How does this work?

regards,
Alex

p.s. just hoping that you can answer this easily. If not, let me know and I will use your support portal.

mauricio.groth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2023

Hi @Alexander Christian 

Thank for have interest in our app!

To use our functions in dashboards or advanced roadmaps, you can save it as a filter. You can see this option inside our app, in the side of the place where you run the query.

In dashboards, you can use it inside the gadgets that let you put a filter. In the advanced roadmaps, when you create a new one, you can select to put a filter and use the one that you save inside our app.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Maurício Groth

0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Alexander Christian

just as food for thought: An alternative option might be to check out one of the more hierarchy-focused apps from the Atlassian Marketplace. These apps typically have their own ways of figuring out parent/child relationships between issues, and provide more powerful ways of defining and searching through issue hierarchies. 

I myself happen work on such an app - JXL for Jira - in which your use case should be trivial to solve, like so:

epics-for-label.gif

For context, JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of advanced features, including the support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping, sum-ups, or conditional formatting.

One thing to consider is that JXL (and other apps in this space) come with their own, particular views - but depending on your exact use case, these views may match your problem better than e.g. dashboards or Advanced Roadmaps.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Hannes 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders