JQL query where tickets DO NOT match an issueLinkType in Jira Cloud

Kevin Thomas November 14, 2019

I was excited to see that the Jira Cloud now supports JQL queries with issueLinkType.

The following query gives me all Story tickets related to another ticket:

type = Story AND issueLinkType IN ("relates to")

However, I can't get the opposite, Story tickets that are not related to other tickets, when I use the following JQL

type = Story AND (issueLinkType NOT IN ("relates to") OR issueLinkType IS EMPTY)

Instead, the above gives me all story tickets. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

4 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

8 votes
Answer accepted
Arnd Layer June 10, 2021

I found a workaround that seems to work:

1. create a filter that for the issue link existing, e.g.
    type = Story AND issueLinkType in ("is tested by")
    save this filter and note the filter ID from the URL
  2. create a second filter with the JQL
    filter != <filterID>

You may have to add some more conditions to the second filter.

Dane Kantner August 5, 2021

This is absurd, but it works. :)

where 14697 below is the i.d. of a saved filter including the issues with the link I don't want --  AND issueLinkType in ("relates to") as well as the same JQL used in the second lookup below:

filter!=14697 AND project = XYZ AND type = "Resource" AND Status != Done AND "Department" = "Security" ORDER BY created ASC

Like # people like this
yaron March 8, 2022

NICE hook!

Like Arnd Layer likes this
Andrei Ancas May 6, 2022

You saved me a lot of time! Thanks!

Francisco Novella Fletcher May 24, 2022

You've made my year.

This workaround is just genius

1 vote
Brian Poleykett March 18, 2020

The not in / != bug seems to have been raised here: JRACLOUD-73640.

Go vote!

1 vote
Joe Fey February 4, 2020

Kevin, it looks like this same issue of !=/NOT IN not working with issueLinkType was raised in JRACLOUD-25640, but there haven't been any updates since Nov. 11th.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

Hi Kevin,

i too am glad to see this feature. I just ran a quick test and "seemed" to work for me.

this query - type = task and issueLinkType not in ("relates to") - returned 142 items

this query - type = task and issueLinkType in ("relates to") - returned 538

now I have not scrutinized the results and TBH would have expected many more than 142 in the first. the one big difference in your is that you are including empty which would i think return any issue w/o a link. is that what you were going for or do you want all issues w/ links that are not "relates to"?

It's odd, when I try the following I get no results back:

type = Story AND issueLinkType not in ("relates to")
Like Dane Kantner likes this

What I've actually done is created a new link type call "Tests" with "tests" and "is tested by" as directional links.

We use Zephyr to create test tickets in our Jira. In order to determine which user stories have test tickets associated I run the query:

type = Story AND issueLinkType in ("is tested by")

That query works great and we save it as a filter and use it on a Confluence page to report on Story tickets with tests.

But when I want to search for Story tickets that do not have tests attached, so informing the team we have a gap in test coverage, the following query does not bring me back any results:

type = Story AND issueLinkType not in ("is tested by")
Like # people like this
Adnan Vilic April 11, 2021

We're trying to accomplish the exact same thing now, but the "issueLinkType not in" part still doesn't work. Did you ever find a workaround?

Like Dane Kantner likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question