JQL query to pull current Program Increment

David Hansen January 10, 2022

In JQL, there is an option for pulling up the current Sprint using the following

sprint in openSprints() AND sprint not in futureSprints()

I am looking for something that will do the same for current Program Increment.

1 answer

0 votes
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2022

David,

Out-of-the-box Jira doesn't implement SAFe so it doesn't have a definition for Program Increments.  How are you implementing SAFe (app?  Advanced Roadmaps?)

David Hansen January 13, 2022

We have an app running on our Jira instance called "SAFe EPIC to Feature Translator for Jira".

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

SAFe EPIC to Feature Translator for Jira is a great app.  I've used it a lot when implementing SAFe on JIra.  But it doesn't bundle sprints into Program Increments.

Do you know how you specify Program Increments (PIs)?  Are they your Releases?  Are you using Advanced Roadmaps?  Once you find that answer, you're probably one step closer to seeing how you can determine this in JQL.

David Hansen January 14, 2022

I am being told that it is a custom field. Not sure if that helps. 

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2022

OK, so if you identify your PI as text in that custom field, you're probably going to use something like

<PI Field Name> ~ <name of current PI>

If you can tell me what the nomenclature is for your PIs, I could be a little more specific on the JQL. 

Like McCubbin_ Mark _W__ likes this
David Hansen January 18, 2022

I have used "Program Increment" = 22.2 to pull the current PI, but that requires me to go into my query each time to update the PI.
I am hoping there is some way to make it automatically look at just the "Active" PI without having to adjust the query each PI. Similar to what you can do for a Sprint. 

Like Miriam Cohen likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

You might have to look at other Marketplace apps that offer enhanced integration with the Scaled Agile Framework.  One that comes top of mind is Agile Hive (Marketplace link here)

David Hansen January 18, 2022

Ok, thanks for your help Robert. 

Suggest an answer