JQL query to get all sub-tasks (created under Epics and User stories) does not return EPIC level

Nancy January 27, 2021

I am creating a JQL query to get all sub-tasks (created under Epics and User stories) specifying the Scrum team name. I made sure all sub-tasks under EPICS has correct Scrum team assigned - my result  always omit  the EPIC(s)  level sub-tasks.

Please help directing how to define JQL -thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

Hi Nancy,

Welcome to Atlassian community .

Can you please share your JQL quer

Please correct me my understanding is wrong.

What i understand is, you want to get sub tasks under epics and sub tasks under stores which are under epics.

Also is it possible if you please share your JQL query

Nancy January 27, 2021

hi Muhammad, correct i want to filter and obtain all sub-tasks specific to content (i.e: CRD) , which can be created either under EPICs or User stories  for a specific scrum team or project. We have the  option to create sub-tasks ( not Tasks) under EPICs.

JQL: issuetype in (Sub-task) AND "Scrum Team" in ("abc","xyz") AND summary ~ CRD ORDER BY status DESC

thank you for your input!

Muhammad Ramzan(Atlassian Certified Master)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 27, 2021

Got It, Thanks for sharing the details. 

Actually , your JQL will get all sub tasks which matching the conditions but it will not let you know either those sub tasks are under Epics or Stories. 

You query looks right, It might be issue with data , the sub tasks which are not appearing might not belongs to the teams which you mentioned in JQL query.

Nancy February 1, 2021

hi Muhammad, thank you  ! i found that the EPICS are not saving the Scrum Team value.

Appreciate your reply. thanks again

Butterflies Fly away January 9, 2023

@Nancy  I have a similar query and its not working ,  I am looking for list of all  the epics under specific feature (considering feature is above the epic in hierarchy ) assigned to specific team members . 

for example my query says : 

Type=epic and project= project1  AND issueLinkType in ("is published by"( "Feature No."))

Here Feature No. is above the epic  in hierarchy . Feature has many epic linked to it  and I need extract of specific epic with assignee. 

Suggest an answer