JQL query for issues where a custom field is empty or where the custom field isn't associated with the issue

David David June 26, 2012

I have a situation where some issues in a project have a custom field, while others do not. If I perform a search like:

project = FOO and customField is EMPTY

This will only return the issues that have the custom field "customField" and where the field is empty, it will exclude all issues that aren't associated with the custom field "customField"

I'm trying to execute a query that will return all issues where either the custom field is empty, or where the custom field is not associated with the issue. Is there a way to do this?

12 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Marius Balčytis June 22, 2016

I've found the solution, but it's really hack-ish.

Both customField IS EMPTY and customField IS NOT EMPTY does not return tickets that have no customField at all. So, basically, NOT (customField IS EMPTY OR customField IS NOT EMPTY) should return them. As it turns out, it doesn't. Probably some pre-processing of query etc. But if you save it as a filter, it works. So..

1. Query for customField IS EMPTY OR customField IS NOT EMPTY
  2. Save filter as Has customField
  3. Open new query window
  4. Now if you search for NOT filter = "Has customField", you get issues that have no customField at all
  5. Your final query should be project = FOO and (customField is EMPTY OR NOT filter = "Has customField")

Andrey_Aristarkhov June 27, 2016

Script Runer allows implement straigtforward solution with the only JQL query

project = FOO and issueFunction not in expression("project = FOO and (customField IS EMPTY OR customField IS NOT EMPTY)", "created <= today")

It's also slightly hackish, since expression always means "all issues from subquery", but at least it could be done via scripting w/o filter being saved

Like # people like this
Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2016

That worked for me!  Thank you, Andrey!

Maximilian Machedon October 12, 2017

I've tried doing that just now (I hope I followed the steps correctly). On the last step (the final query) I get this error:

Error occurred communicating with the server. Please reload the page and try again.

Obviously, no results are returned.

Maximilian Machedon October 12, 2017

I've also tried a direct query via jira-cli and I also get an error:

jira-cli view --search-jql 'project = Development AND NOT (team IS EMPTY OR team IS NOT EMPTY)'

<h1>Page unavailable</h1>
<div class="aui-page-notification-description">
Please check <a href="https://status.atlassian.com">Atlassian Status</a> for any known issues.
<br />
If your page hasn't appeared again in 5-10 minutes, please contact our support team.
</div>
<br>
<p>
<a href="https://status.atlassian.com" class="aui-button aui-button-primary" style="width: 175px;">
Atlassian Status
</a>
&nbsp;
<a href="https://getsupport.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/jst" class="aui-button">
Contact support
</a>
</p>

Jose Ramirez October 26, 2018

May I down vote this ? As mentioned in the follow up comments, this is not a reliable solution.

Samer Harb October 26, 2018

@Jose Ramirez Did you try to re-index the project? There's a "Re-index project" button that solved a similar problem i faced

I did, but I'll try it again to make sure.

To elaborate, I recently added a custom field, and had to retroactively populate the field with data for issues. So when I scan for project=ABC AND custom field = EMPTY for a particular issue type, it has nothing, and returns nothing, obviously. The system knows nothing of the newly added field. I have to "JQL it" using only "project=ABC AND issuetype = XYZ" and then add the new field column on the issue listing, and order it so I can see the empty field for older issues, and then bulk change with a script in a post function to perform the retro mapping. It would have been great had the system recognized the 'emptiness' of the new field, but that would require a system re-index, and who has time for that ? 

Samer Harb October 29, 2018

@Jose Ramirez Hi again, sorry to hear about that. I am not familiar with problem unfortunately. Usually we make system re-index during maintenance times, outside of working hours when there's low traffic.

Btw you made sure that the field is searchable from the edit menu right?

2018-10-29 08_58_11-Edit Custom Field - Details - MxJIRA.png

Good luck!

Mehrnoosh_h November 15, 2019

For me 

t.Field IS NULL worked

Which is equal to 

ISNULL(t.Field)

Sima June 5, 2020

Thank you, Marius. The workaround with the filter worked very well for me. 👍🏼

9 votes
Izaskun Nazabal May 5, 2013

In our instalation this sentence it works. Try enclosing field name in quotes:

"CustomField" is EMPTY

Prakhar Srivastav May 24, 2016

Hi All,

I am also facing this issue while I do jql for Component field in a project.

Search1 : project= proj1 and "component" is not EMPTY 

Search2 : project= proj1 and "component" is EMPTY 

Search3 : project= proj1 

For me 

Search3 is not equal to some of Search1 and Search2.

Please advice.,

Regards

Prakhar 

3 votes
Samer Harb May 17, 2018

Use "Re-index project" to solve this issue once and for all

2018-05-17 14_35_34-Re-index - ITJIRA.png

Sayan Kaiser July 6, 2020

Thanks Samer it did the job for me 

Like Samer Harb likes this
3 votes
Sam Huawey December 20, 2015

I second that. The "custom field" is EMPTY does not always work. I think this is a bug in JIRA (mine is 7.0).

I tried to reindex search, but it did not help.

This is somehow related to a situation where you have two or more projects with same set of custom controls. E.g. prj1 contains "custom field" and prj2 also contains "custom field".

The correct jql should be the following:

project=prj1 and cf[10201] is EMPTY

, where 10201 is the id of your custom field (you may quess it if you add a search column with your CF value and inspect corresponding html code).

ajarv June 22, 2018

That worked . thanks

Alexander Romanov January 28, 2019

Worked in my case too. Thanks!

Stuart Harris April 23, 2021

TY

1 vote
Sascha Schwegelbauer February 8, 2015

I'd like to query for all issues that don't have a value in "Account" (custom field 10101).

"Account is EMPTY" returns all issues (not corrent) "cf[10101] IS EMPTY" also returns everything.

what's the correct way to do this search? JIRA is 6.4m13

0 votes
Irfan Ahmed Zainulabdin February 7, 2021

Instead try the other way i.e. first search for all issues where customfield is empty and then filter the results by project.

Below worked for me:

customField is EMPTY and project = FOO
0 votes
kayode_faith January 14, 2021

I have a Custom field titled Provider.

Provider = Empty worked for me.  

Thank you.

0 votes
Deepak Guru April 3, 2020

Custom field = NULL worked for me  Thanks Atlassian for suggestions :)

0 votes
John Tian November 13, 2019

We get results when searching 'is empty' but not all results for all tickets that don't have the field populated. I don't think this works as intended, but two of the above workarounds do the trick.

1. Marius's suggestion to make a filter and reference it
  2. Andrey's suggestion to use ScriptRunner to do the same (only works if we reference cf[####] instead of the field name, since it has spaces in the name)

This was supposedly fixed years ago in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-6180 but I really don't think it was.

0 votes
Shengyu Chen November 21, 2018

Actually right now the is Empty is accepted and would return the results 

0 votes
dpstandish June 12, 2014

The OP's query actually works now. You don't need quotes.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2012

That is not possible via JQL. You might want to write a plugin or find it from the database if it is a one time task!

dpstandish June 11, 2014

Izaskun's answer worked for me.

Robert March 11, 2017

Not possible without a plugin is the standard answer to every issue.

Like Richard Cross likes this

Suggest an answer