JQL query for comments for particular user

tjayantha February 4, 2013

Hi,

we want list comments added by particular user in a project/Issue ,is it possible to get by JQL ?

8 answers

2 accepted

20 votes
Answer accepted
Amy Bell February 17, 2016

A cool workaround I found for pulling relatively smaller lists of tickets that a user updated (such as commented on):

Add an Activity Stream gadget to a dashboard - and then click Edit in upper right.  Add a Global Filter:

"Username" "is" "(username)"

Viola!

Morgan_Heijdemann April 26, 2016

Worked beautifully for me, thanks!

Mats Nordgren May 2, 2016

I wish I could give you +10!

Network Support October 14, 2016

This worked amazingly well for some quick clean up I needed to do.

Rivo Tahina Razafindratsifa December 1, 2017

Thanks ! It works like a charm. Is there any way to export the result ?

Regards,

Tommy Rowe December 9, 2017

This isnt working, and hasnt for a bit - Anyone heard any news on this being broken?

Liz_Pat January 30, 2019

Nice trick. Thanks. 

alon March 10, 2021

Can't make "Username" "is" "(username)" to work....  Tried different ways of filling  username:

• "Agent Smith"
  • "agent smith"
  • agent smith
  • Agent Smith
  • 5f59dc7ef0d30600f657dcff    (This is the user's Jira ID)
  • All of the above with ( ) in \ out of the " "

Any ideas?

NOTE:
Jira won't auto complete the username as it does in the JQL filter

Like # people like this
Oleksandr Kulychok March 25, 2021

Goto your profile and copy value from Username 

9 votes
Answer accepted
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

You can try script runner and use the jql issueFunction in commented ("by username")

Can't point you to the docs at the moment because the site is being moved.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Hey Jamie. Saw that movement. Need a hand to get some editing/formatting of the pages? (saw some invalid macros)

May be you can set the default confluence theme for documentation as well.

Кирилл Домасевич August 14, 2019

JamieA, thx a lot. Exactly what I'm looking for, not like a workaround approaches above ;-) 

3 votes
John Gooch January 10, 2018

Even better,  this JQL works for me. you can reduce it to only the parameters that interest you.

(summary ~ currentUser() OR description ~ currentUser() OR comment ~ currentUser()) and updatedDate >= -7d

Lesa King February 16, 2018

I am unable to return the ticket Comments field with this or any other query. Like the original request, that is what I need: a list of comments.  Is there something I am not seeing that allows me to select that field in the results?

David Leal
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2023

@John Gooch yes, it works for the current user, but I don't think it works for other that the current user executing the JQL.

3 votes
Clément Grimal January 20, 2014

I installed the following free add-on: "Script Runner"

Then, you can use the following query

issueFunction in commented("by username")

as described in the documentation: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions#ScriptedJQLFunctions-commented(commentquery)

David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2016

ScriptRunner is no longer free sad

Like # people like this
2 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

You can use the JQL Tricks plugin . Use the issue function commentedByUser([User]) to find the list of comment added by particular user

tjayantha February 4, 2013

JQL Tricks plugin is paid, do we have any altrenatives ?

Like # people like this
David Skreiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2016

As a workaround, you can use a dashboard:

1 open Dashboard
2 Add Gadget Activitiy Stream
3 Add a global filter: Project is XY
4 Add a global filter: User is (username)
5 Below the Global Filter, klick JIRA - Add Filter:  Activity is Comment
6 Set "limit to 99 items"

You now have the comments as an activity stream.

Tommy Rowe December 9, 2017

Help its broken - please fix Atlassian 

1 vote
Luis March 20, 2019

Hola, existe alguna forma de auto asignar una incidencia a un usuario determinado de forma automatica? He realizado un filtro donde me muestra solo las subtareas hijas que ya estan en estado franqueadas, pero necesito que se asignen a un usuario en concreto de forma automática conforme esas subtareas vayan apareciendo. Es posible?

basicamente lo necesito para no tener que estar entrando en el filtro y tener que asignarlas yo manualmente a un usuario para que las gestione.

Rahul Ingle April 2, 2019

comment~rahul.ingle AND project = test

1 vote
Jason Kovacs May 15, 2018

This might help someone find all issues with comments across multiple users, though you have to go to each detail to see them.

Use this JQL advanced filter for the All Issues list:  comment !~ "junktext"

This returned all the issues that have comments because they do not contain "junktext".

0 votes

You can use JIRA Comment Toolbox plugin.

You can find the list of the issues which is commented by current user , selected user, group member and role member and you can limit this search with comment date or last comment.

If you need any custom JQL for comments you can also contact with us, mailto:info@kostebekteknoloji.com.

Suggest an answer