JQL no longer displays sub-tasks when filtering by team

David Loya January 24, 2020

Hi All,

My issue started happening two days ago. I have the following JQL,

project in (of, par) AND team in (27, 25, 7) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Team is a field used in Portfolio that we use in Jira to help narrow down our JQL search to specific teams for our boards. This used to work without issue.

If i filter our JQL to just look at the projects I can see all subtasks. But if i make a quick filter and activate that on the board the subtasks will disappear.

As of 2 days ago it seems that something has broke. Our subtasks are no longer displaying in this JQL unless you go into the story / task and update the status of the subtask. After you do this and rerun your JQL the subtask will show up.

Whats weird is that if I clear browser cache / cookies then the subtasks will stop displaying on boards and in the JQL results.

Does anyone know whats going on here and how we could fix this?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Loya January 28, 2020

Turns out the issue is related to one of our Jira nodes.

Dale Miller January 30, 2020

So what was the issue? We are seeing a similar issue.

0 votes
Milan Kovacs February 19, 2020

@David Loya, could you please explain in a little more detail what exactly was the root cause of your issue and what did you do to solve it eventually?

We started experiencing the very same issue this morning and honestly, it's frying my brain.

Thank you!

David Loya February 19, 2020

The issue is still happening and we have a ticket open with Atlassian. One of our nodes is not syncing up or its having some sort of caching issue.

David Loya February 19, 2020

We verified its a specific node (we have two total so it ws easy to test) Essentially we owned one jira instance in chrome and another in internet explorer. Verified that they were on two separate nodes and verified which node was experiencing the issue.

Like Milan Kovacs likes this
0 votes
David Loya January 27, 2020

I added the Portfolio for Jira tag in case this is something specific for the Portfolio plugin.

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Hi @David Loya

A good starting point is re-indexing as JQL relies quite a bit on the index to fetch issues.

If there's issues with search, you could try re-indexing your instance. This can be done per project or across the whole platform.

Project Indexing:

A project re-index is only required if you've made changes to one project's field configuration schemes, custom fields or time tracking options. To do this:

1. Go to Jira Settings > Projects > Select your project
  2. From the left-hand menu, select Re-index project
  3. Press Start Project Re-index

System Indexing:

If you've made configuration changes which affect your entire Jira instance, you may need to perform a full re-index. To do this:

1. Go to Jira Settings > System
  2. Select Indexing from the left-hand menu (under Advanced)
  3. Select your Re-Indexing type (Background or Full), reading the instructions below each.
  4. Press Re-Index

More details on Re-Indexing can be found on this page and some specifics on Search Re-Indexing on this page.

Ste

David Loya January 27, 2020

So last Friday I did a full re-index and it did not resolve the issue. It seems that this issue is only happening for filters that are using the portfolio team field in the JQL. I am at a loss as to why this would all of a sudden be problematic.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2020

Hi @David Loya

I'm not able to replicate this so it's strange that it's happening - have you perhaps recently updated your Jira Server moving to a newer instance?

What I would suggest next is contacting Support to seek advice - you can contact them at https://support.atlassian.com/

Let us know how it goes :)

Ste

Suggest an answer