JQL in confluence changes to %20%3D%20

Dinesh November 1, 2019

Hi,

I have the similar problem.

• In Confluence i have a JIRA Chart with 2 dimension chart added
  • Edit the page and select "Open in source editor"
  • i typed
    <ac:parameter ac:name="jql">project = "Proj1" AND issuetype = TIR</ac:parameter>

Apply changes and saved the page

Reopen the page with "Open in source editor"

It is changing to 

<ac:parameter ac:name="jql">project%20%3D%20%22Proj%201%22%20AND%20issuetype%20%3D%20TIR</ac:parameter>

Is there is any solution to keep my JQL query as it is ?

Confluence Version: 6.13.0

JIRA Version: Jira v7.13.0

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2019

Hi Dinesh,

If I understand your concern here, Confluence is saving the JQL in a format that doesn't look exactly the same as the way you typed it.   The reason it is doing this is because many characters that are accepted in JQL are not actually valid characters to be used in a URL.  Confluence is having to parse out a URL to the Jira server in order to make this URL request and characters like a space (%20) or an equals sign (%3D) can't always be used by all web servers in the URL itself.  So they are being substituted so that your request remains the same, even if it might not look the same.

In short, I don't believe it would be possible to show your query exactly the same here always.  However you might be able to take some steps to limit the amount of changes that go into this.  For example, try to use the project key instead of the project name.  This would eliminate the use of the double quotes "".  Additionally you can reduce the number of spaces in a JQL query itself.  Such as changing the query from

project = ABC AND issuetype = bug

to instead look like this:

project=ABC and issuetype=bug

This is logically the same, but without the extra spaces.  Granted you will still see this converted to look like this

project%3DABC%20and%20issuetype%3Dbug

so it doesn't completely eliminate these character substitutions but you can reduce it.

Alternatively, you could first create a saved filter in Jira, make note of the ID number of that filter, and then just reference that filter instead of the JQL itself.  So If you saved that filter above it would just be called as

filter=12345

Although this alternative still has to substitute for the equals sign and you can't easily see what criteria it is using to select issues on, so perhaps this might not be an ideal alternatively after all.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer