JQL for issues not in an open sprint or backlog

Brian Parks February 11, 2020

I've seen bits and pieces but not a complete solution. I'm looking for a query that shows issues that were in a closed sprint but do not show up in the backlog - issues in "No man's land" I suppose. Also I noticed that our "official" board backlog count differs from the issue navigator version. Has anyone else seen this?

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Answer accepted
FK December 1, 2021

The following query works for me:
resolution = Unresolved and (sprint is EMPTY or sprint not in (openSprints(), futureSprints()))

This query shows all open issues that are not scheduled yet.

Finn Merlett January 10, 2022

This works perfectly! Thanks so much

Muhammad.Omer2 January 27, 2022

how can same filter applicable/visible for all available users and boards ??

FK January 27, 2022

See "Share a filter" in https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/save-your-search-as-a-filter/: Save it and share it with a group, project or individual users.

Heli Laaksonen January 20, 2023

@FK , this helped me a lot, thank you so much!

0 votes
Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

There's a difference between 2 jqls. 

Just to check, the filter of your board is "project = XYZ and sprint is empty ORDER BY Rank ASC", correct? and it returns 170 issues

Can you attach a screenshot of the Issue Navigator icon next to the backlog?

Brian Parks February 12, 2020

jira2.PNGjira1.PNG

So again, when you are on the official backlog page, I click the (kinda) circled icon and I'm brought to the page where the jql is.

Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2020

Ok, we need to know the board filter then.

Please go to ... -> board settings image.png

and then search for "Filter Query".

Let's see what it's filtering!

Brian Parks February 14, 2020

Hmm - either I don't have access for that or the server version is slightly different. I see a Configure Board option but not anything specific to the backlog JQL. I'm reaching out internally to the admin here for assistance. Thanks for your help!

jira3.PNG

Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2020

Hi Brian, you're almost there! in the screenshot, if you click on View Filter Query you'll see the JQL.

Regards! Aylin.

Brian Parks February 14, 2020

It's simply: project = FEDNAT ORDER BY Rank ASC, which returns 350 records.

0 votes
Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2020

Hi Brian!

I think I don't completely understand what you want. If issues do not show up in the backlog should be because they're already done. Could you give me an example so I see if I think a way of filtering them?

Regards, Aylin.

OK,

There is a particular issue that is In Progress that was assigned to a now closed sprint. So it has sprint records but the issue itself is still open. I assigned it to the backlog via API and it shows in the backlog board display along with others for a count of 170. However, if I click the Issue Navigator icon next to the backlog I only see 157 with the default JQL "project = XYZ and sprint is empty ORDER BY Rank ASC". My question is where are the 13 records and how can I find them via JQL?

Aylin Kohls
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2020

Ok! the thing is that "project = XYZ and sprint is empty ORDER BY Rank ASC" excludes issues with a recorded sprint. Maybe you can use "project = XYZ and (sprint is empty or sprint in closedSprints() and status not in ("your_done_statuses")) ORDER BY Rank ASC"

This way you'll include the issues in closed sprints AND not in a done_status.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Aylin.

Helps a bit, but still does not match the number as reported in the backlog board. :(