JQL for issues in one project but displaying parents/children in others?

Paula Kingsley January 27, 2021

Backstory: We use Datacenter v8.5.3 and have the Portfolio extension. I'm a project admin, but not a Jira admin.

Question: Is there any JQL magic that will show me the following?

1. All issues in one project,, PLUS child issues in any project (must be dynamic, not by named project or issue key)
    For example: All XYZ issues, and any issue in any project, as long as it has an immediate parent (epic/initiative/theme) in XYZ

2. All issues in one project, PLUS any associated parent in other projects (this can be restricted to a fairly small set of named projects)
    For example: All XYZ issues, and any issue (epic/initiative/theme) in any of the named projects, if it is the immediate parent of any issue in XYZ

Basically, I just want to see all parents and children in a project, plus the children or parents (one level up or down) in other projects. The indentations here are just for clarity.

---> XYZ-3 - Epic for thing in XYZ
         ---> XYZ-5 - Story for thing blah
         ---> XYZ-10 - Another story blahblahblah
         ---> QWE-4 - Story in QWE as it's a child of the the XYZ epic
         ---> KITTENS-99 - Story in KITTENS as it's a child of the the XYZ epic    

---> ABC-1 - Epic for thing in ABC, displayed as it's an immediate parent of an XYZ story
          ---> XYZ-321 - Story in XYZ  (and no other child stories in that ABC epic)

...this way I don't see XYZ-321 as an orphan, I see the ABC-1 epic it's in, but I don't see all the stories in ABC-1. And, I make sure people can see QWE-4 as it's part of the XYZ-3 epic.  

Does this make sense?

Of the two, if I had to pick only one, I would go for #1, although I really want both!.

Lastly, I think this needs to be JQL because I would use it in a Kanban board and Jira Structure, and need to be able to edit it myself.

1 answer

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2021

Hi @Paula Kingsley,

You will need a third-party app in order to be able to search issues to that extend. If you have Scriptrunner, you can do something like this:

issueFunction in issuesInEpics('project in (XYZ)')

I hope that this helps.

Thanks,
Moga

Suggest an answer