JQL for Linked issues in another project

Kelly Hansen May 14, 2024

Does anyone know how to do a JQL to show all my issues that have a linked issue from another project?  I seem to only be able to search for a specific linked issue and I dont want to do that as we are trying to build our list for scrum of scrums.  I keep trying to do below and it does not work.

Project = Family and linkedissue ~ "Houses*"

4 answers

1 vote
Chris Rainey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

Hey Kelly,

Someone may correct me here but I don't believe this is natively possible. To pull this off, I think you'd need an add-on, such as Scriptrunner. 

0 votes
Amay Purohit_RVS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2024

Hi @Kelly Hansen  

Since you are on Jira Premium, did you try out Roadmaps. I am not sure if it can be achieved in Roadmaps but you can give it a try. Or alternatively, if you would be interested in an add-on for this need, you can try out our plugin.

Issue Hierarchy 

The app shows your issue hierarchy in a tree view created through Issue Links. The Issues in the tree can be in multiple projects and the app will pull out each one of them and show you a structured hierarchy.

The app has multiple other features which are very useful in project tracking and management. Do give it a spin.

(Disclaimer: I work on RVS, the vendor for this app)

Links HIerarchy.PNG

Kelly Hansen May 16, 2024

unfortunately roadmaps shows me too much detail.  But I am going to give this a try and see if I can get it to work

Like Amay Purohit_RVS likes this
0 votes
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 15, 2024

Hi @Kelly Hansen

to the best of my knowledge, @Chris Rainey is correct that this isn't possible natively. The only built-in solution that I can think of is to somehow use Jira Automation to read and process your issues' issue links, and write the result into a custom field; you could then filter by this custom field.

Alternatively, if you're open to solutions from the Atlassian Marketplace, there are apps that can help with this. E.g., I believe that your use case would be easy to solve using the app that my team and I are working on, JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that allows viewing, inline-editing, sorting, and filtering by all your issue fields, much like you’d do in e.g. Excel or Google Sheets. It also comes with a number of so-called smart columns that aren’t natively available, including linked issues, along with many other issue-link-related columns. As you can apply text filtering (including logical operators like OR) to all your columns, you can perform a search like e.g. this in just a couple of clicks:

linked-issue-project-filtering.gif

JXL also comes with a number of advanced features, including support for (configurable) issue hierarchies, issue grouping by any issue field(s), sum-ups, or conditional formatting. With these, you can also model much more sophisticated queries and reports that he one above.

Any questions just let me know,

Best,

Hannes

0 votes
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2024

Hi @Kelly Hansen ,

Chris is right that natively this isn't possible. Dependency Mapper for Jira could be a good option for you since it gives you lots of ways to visualize linked issues.

Here's a quick example of searching for issues in one project to visualize all the linked issues:

Dependency-visualization-min (1).gif

My gif doesn't do it justice, but there are some videos showing how it works and also showing each of the chart types (in case the ones I clicked on aren't the kind of visualization you're looking for): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUlqFYxeA8NasjSzb-1oLP8atoaG38PTP

Full disclosure: I work with Quirk, the partner behind this app.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events