Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sign up Log in
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

Avatar

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
4,462,871
Community Members
 
Community Events
176
Community Groups

JQL for Blocking Issues

Edited

Hi,

 

I am trying to write a JQL query to filter blocking issues for a specific project.  So far I have:

 

project = "Project Name" AND issuelinktype = blocks

 

However, the results show both blocking issues and issues that are "blocked by".  I would like the filter to only show the blocking issues and exclude the "blocked by" issues.  Any advice?

 

Thanks,

 

Ammaar

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hey @Ammaar Ahmed

please have a look at your issue link configuration. By default, the issue link type "blocks" has the name/description "blocks" and the outward description "blocks". I'm pretty confident that the JQL function looks at the description value as well. So try a different name for it. I tried this once but also had to recreate some issue links. Indexing seemed a bit off but after that I really only got the right results returned.

Please let us know if that solved your problem. :)

Best, Max

Hi @Max Foerster - K15t

 

I am not sure I understand the recommended solution.  Here is an example:

 

Annotation 2020-04-30 115426.png

 

So, I would want BI-36 to show up in the filter, but do not want to see BI-24, BI-23, and BI-27.  Does this make sense?

 

Thanks,

 

Ammaar

Like # people like this

Hey Ammaar,

makes sense to me and I just tried to explain to you why you get the wrong results returned with your JQL filter. Do you notice the "Name" and "Outward Description"? That's causing the behaviour and feel free to change the configuration to fix it for you. :) issue_linking.png

Best, Max

Thanks @Max Foerster - K15t ,

The fix worked!  Now I have set up some JQL queries on the board to indicate colors for the issues that are blocking (red) and the issues that are blocked by (blue), for better visual management.  I am almost there, the only thing I am trying to figure out is I want the color for a "blocked by" issue to go away when the corresponding blocking issue is resolved.  Any suggestions on JQL for this?  Right now I have:

 

project = "Business Intelligence " AND statusCategory != Done AND issuelinktype = "is blocked by"

 

I am on Jira Cloud.

 

Thanks,

 

Ammaar 

That's not possible by default in Jira. You will need a third-party app to add this kind of JQL functions.

Best, Max

I renamed the Outward Description from 'blocks' to 'blocking' and tried the jql query and the results are still the same. Do I need to give some time for the indexing in the background to complete?

project = {project id} AND Sprint in openSprints() AND issueLinkType = blocks

So the description name is still "blocks", @Ben Sharir

The outward description is now 'blocking'. I wonder if it's because block and blocking both has the same root and Jira's search is trimming words and searching the root word. I can try a completely different word and see if it makes a difference.

I renamed the outward description from 'blocks' to 'preventing' and now it's working as expected. Thanks @Max Foerster - K15t !

Like Max Foerster - K15t likes this

Sooo maybe someone is still looking for the solution. Short answer: change the name of the link from "Blocks" to something else like I did "Issue blocks" and then the JQL

 issueLinkType = "blocks" 

returns issues only with outward link type "blocks"image.png

The solution is provided in Atlassian documentation here.

What we use to identify blocker links is the following: 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("key in (JIRAKEY-XXXX) and status not in (closed, done)") and project = "PROJECT ID" and issuetype in (bug,incident) AND status not in (closed,Done) AND issueFunction in hasLinks("blocks")

@lenII tried your suggestion and received this error message:

Your JQL includes the [hasLinks] function from the [Adaptavist Scriptrunner] app for Jira Server. This function works differently in Jira Cloud. Refer to https://docs.adaptavist.com/sr4jc/latest/features/scriptrunner-jql-keywords-functions for details.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer