Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JQL for Blocking Issues Edited

Hi,

I am trying to write a JQL query to filter blocking issues for a specific project.  So far I have:

project = "Project Name" AND issuelinktype = blocks

However, the results show both blocking issues and issues that are "blocked by".  I would like the filter to only show the blocking issues and exclude the "blocked by" issues.  Any advice?

Thanks,

Ammaar

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hey @Ammaar Ahmed

please have a look at your issue link configuration. By default, the issue link type "blocks" has the name/description "blocks" and the outward description "blocks". I'm pretty confident that the JQL function looks at the description value as well. So try a different name for it. I tried this once but also had to recreate some issue links. Indexing seemed a bit off but after that I really only got the right results returned.

Please let us know if that solved your problem. :)

Best, Max

Hi @Max Foerster - Decadis AG

I am not sure I understand the recommended solution.  Here is an example:

Annotation 2020-04-30 115426.png

So, I would want BI-36 to show up in the filter, but do not want to see BI-24, BI-23, and BI-27.  Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Ammaar

Hey Ammaar,

makes sense to me and I just tried to explain to you why you get the wrong results returned with your JQL filter. Do you notice the "Name" and "Outward Description"? That's causing the behaviour and feel free to change the configuration to fix it for you. :) issue_linking.png

Best, Max

Thanks @Max Foerster - Decadis AG ,

The fix worked!  Now I have set up some JQL queries on the board to indicate colors for the issues that are blocking (red) and the issues that are blocked by (blue), for better visual management.  I am almost there, the only thing I am trying to figure out is I want the color for a "blocked by" issue to go away when the corresponding blocking issue is resolved.  Any suggestions on JQL for this?  Right now I have:

project = "Business Intelligence " AND statusCategory != Done AND issuelinktype = "is blocked by"

I am on Jira Cloud.

Thanks,

Ammaar 

That's not possible by default in Jira. You will need a third-party app to add this kind of JQL functions.

Best, Max

0 votes
lenI I'm New Here Jun 17, 2021

What we use to identify blocker links is the following: 

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("key in (JIRAKEY-XXXX) and status not in (closed, done)") and project = "PROJECT ID" and issuetype in (bug,incident) AND status not in (closed,Done) AND issueFunction in hasLinks("blocks")

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you