JQL filter with sender e-mail domain name

Kristina Kivisild August 9, 2022

I need to take out from a project by description and by sender e-mail domain name. As there is different persons who are sent the mail to us.

have tried : project = project1 AND description ~ "word 1" AND "Sender E-mail" ~ domain1.com 

this get's only empty results.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ulf Johansson October 6, 2022

Issue with in jql applies for us also. 

I'm running on JSW 9.1.0 data center
My use case is with a custom field typed as text field single line, I suppose same applies for multi line.

We have value in custom field TextField name,name@domain.com
Jira render value to be an email address, not plain text.

jql with ~ as in these examples:
TextField ~ domain.com - do not work
TextField ~ "domain.com" - do not work
TextField ~ domain - do not work
TextField ~ "domain" - do not work

TextField ~  "name,name@domain.com" - works

Conclusion:
When Jira type a text as email address the text value is not searchable within the email address it self.
This is a big weakness in Jira, and I will vote for a solution in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-61425

0 votes
Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2022

Hi @Kristina Kivisild

Can you confirm if the "Sender E-mail" is a custom field(probably a text field) with values including the name and domain name of users?

If yes, you can try querying it the same way. If no, I'm scared that you'll not be able to query it this way directly in the UI. 

Thanks!

Kristina Kivisild August 11, 2022

Hi!

Yes, this is custom field as text field.

But it gives in query empty answer.

Bharathi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2022

Can you help me with a sample value of that field? Based on it, we can determine if it can be searched that way or not.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 9, 2022

Hi @Kristina Kivisild , I am not aware of "Sender E-mail" field. Maybe that is some custom field or maybe something available in Server? 

Kristina Kivisild August 11, 2022

Yes, this is custom field. Guess it's not possible to get the results this way.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

Can you try searching solely on the custom field where you know it would return an issue, e.g.

"Sender E-mail" ~ domain1

If it is a text field you should be able to search the contents using ~

Suggest an answer