JQL - exclude blocked issues from the same project

Martin König August 13, 2020

Hi all,

I'm using Structure and would like to show all Features and Stories which are involved in a link relationship "blocked" & "is blocked by":

project = FPM AND issueLinkType in(blocks, "is blocked by")

... so far so good.

Now I'd like to show only stories being blocking or blocking stories form another project then the current one (FPM).

In other words: I like to exclude stories blocking each other in the same project.

Any help is very much apprechiated.

Cheers, Martin

1 answer

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2020

Hi @Martin König 

To confirm, do you need to see:

• Features & Stories which are blocking each other, either in FPM or another project
  • Stories from other projects which are blocking FPM stories

Let us know as this might require an app to extend the functionality of JQL to allow you to do sub-queries within a main query.

-------------------

For example, to locate:

• All linked issues of stories in FPN...
  • Using blocks / is blocked by...
  • Which are stories but are not in FPN

You'd need an app, such as ScriptRunner. This allows you to run sub-queries - so you could use a search such as:

(issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = FPN and issuetype = Story","blocks") OR issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("project = FPN and issuetype = Story","is blocked by")) AND project != FPN AND issuetype = Story

This exemplifies how more advanced JQL functions can assist in this instance.

Ste

Martin König September 6, 2020

Hi Stephen,

thanks so much for your reply. We actually use ScriptRunner and will give your suggestion a go.

Thanks so much

Martin

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2020

Hi @Martin König 

No worries :) - let us know if this works!

Ste

Suggest an answer