JQL condition on workflow step works for some users but not others

This is an odd one and really I'm guessing I'm asking where to strat on investigating rather than an answer (although it would be great if someone had one!)

The workflow step "passed" has a JQL condition, using groovy runner, to display only if this filter is matched:

"issuetype = "Test case" AND "Test Failed against browsers" is EMPTY"

However I have one user who cannot see "passed" unless I disable the condition. All other users can see "passed" when the condition is matched. Nothing in the "atlassian-jira.log" I can see. I've double-checked that it is this condition causing the issue.

Any suggestions?

10 answers

0 votes

Is that user logged in? What happens if they run that query as a jql query in the UI?

0 votes

and check the logs...

Hi Jamie. Yes they are logged in if you run the query in the search it returns the correct issue. As mentioned I've checked atlassian-jira.log while logged in as the user and refreshing the issue. Nothing is being logged. IS there anywhere else I can look?

What is different in the permissions the user has? And is there any other kind of validation or condition in the "passed" transition? That's where I would look.

@Sana Safai I have checked the permissions and roles and there's nothing wrong there. There aren't any other conditions or validators that affect this. There is another scripted condition but after removing it the problem remains

If you try with another user with the exact same permissions, will that user see the "passed" transition?

If the original user does not have too much history or issues etc connected, I would delete that user and create a new one in its stead. That's the fast solution. Are you sure you not only checked that they have the same permissions, but also same roles, groups everything etc? I can't think of why it would be different in that case.

0 votes

has the problem user been renamed? Older versions had a problem with renamed users. You could check with the user key is the same as the username in the database...

Thanks @Jamie Echlin [Adaptavist] I'll check into that.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,852 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot