JQL based on time field

nz May 11, 2022

Hi

Am trying to schedule a task using Jira Automation to send an email when a certain time is about to be reached.  For example, we have a start date field which when populated with the value 11/May/22 13:50, we would like an email to be sent to the assignee approximately 5/10 minutes before the start time, so in this case, email should be sent around 13:40.

I have this currently setup, project = "Project1" AND "Start Date" <10m

I think it works, but maybe my JQL is wrong as its picking up a lot of older issues issues.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2022

Hi @nz , 

the date field nearing current time is not a trigger, so if you want to do this, you should use a scheduled trigger, where the rule is scheduled to run every hour,.. (10 minutes might be a bit often). 

Your JQL should narrow the issues that fall in that time window. 

What you JQL says is: the Start date lies before 10 minutes in the future. So that is everything up til now and in the next 10 minutes. 

So your JQL might be:

"Start date" >= now() AND "Start date" < 10m

this means the start date must be now, or between now and 10 minutes in the future. 

If you "window" is 10 minutes, you need to run the rule every 10 minutes of course to not miss issues. 
Make sure you don't overload the system and if possible, choose bigger windows or really limit the scope of the automation rule. 

Hope this helps, 

Tessa

0 votes
Garrett McCreery
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2022

Hi Nadeem!

Can you try this:

project = "Project1" and "Start Date" > 9m and "Start Date" < 11m

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events