JQL Sprint = "sprint 19" returns no results even though I have 30 issues with "Sprint 19" in the sprint field.

Nicholas Tucker December 6, 2012

What I am trying to do is find all the issues with Sprint 19 in the Sprint field managed by GreenHopper.

I recieve no results when doing a JQL on [ Sprint = "sprint 19" ] and I get this "This query is too complex to display in Simple mode" even though I'm in advanced search.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Joanna _Yahoo_ December 6, 2012

That's because the Sprint field is actually numeric. The name of the sprint that you configure on the rapid board and that you see in the Agile section of each individual JIRA issue is the alphanumeric text value. But the JQL 'sprint' query parameter expects a numeric value which is the actual value stored in JIRA. To find the numeric value, you need to 'hover your mouse' over the sprint name (like on an indiviaul issue), and see the URL being generated by JIRA. Somethign like... http://xxx/secure/GHGoToBoard.jspa?sprintId=1

Then query on this ID number at the end of the URL (sprint =1). In your case, if you only have 1 board and all sprints are named sequentially, then 'Sprint 19' may in fact equal 19 numerically (so your query would become Sprint=19). But if there are other boards with their own sprints, then it may not be. The bottom line is that sprints have textual names but behind the scenes JIRA /GH stores numeric sequential numbers across ALL sprints in GreenHopper.

Nicholas Tucker December 6, 2012

Thanks Joanna! That did the trick. It took me a little bit to find a sprint link. (for others with this question) I found it in the bottom right corner of a detail view under the AGILE section of an issue in a current or past sprint.

Thanks for clarifying for me. The JQL now looks like this [ sprint = 10 ]

Nathan January 2, 2013

This worked perfectly for active sprints.

What about a future sprint that hasn't started yet? I can't seem to find a sprint ID for those.

Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

Hi Nathan,

There is a story on the backlog for that feature: GHS-5773

Thanks,
Nicholas Muldoon

Suggest an answer