JQL Query to filter out backlog in a project not using sprint functionality

Olga Tchuvatkina January 8, 2020

I want to return issues from the Board. What is the JQL Query to filter out Backlog in a project not using Sprint functionality?  Since there no sprints for any issues, "sprint is not EMPTY" does not return any results

Thanks!

3 answers

0 votes
Carlos Pauperio February 15, 2024

Hi Everyone, have you tried to read this doc: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jql-to-fetch-issues-in-scrum-board-backlog-and-not-part-of-sprint-1295390459.html

It might be helpful for all of us.

Take a look.

0 votes
Bruce Reed August 1, 2022

I'm a Jira user, not a Jira expert, so I may be wrong...

My understanding of Backlog is, this is all tickets with no Sprint assigned.  If you're not using sprints, then all tickets are in the Backlog.  Similarly, "Board" is the Sprint Board, which is the list of tickets assigned to the current sprint.

Please define what you mean by "Board" vs "Backlog".  For you, what fields on a ticket control whether the ticket is a Board or a Backlog ticket?

0 votes
Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Hi @Olga Tchuvatkina ,

In fact, the board is based on a query. As I understand, you want this query, so go to the Configuration>General and Saved Filter or Filter Query.

Hope it helps !

Olga Tchuvatkina January 9, 2020

HI Thomas, thank you for getting back to me

I want to create a filter that returns unassigned tasks from all projects. The query below picks up tasks from Board and Backlog, Is it possible to filter Backlog out?

issuetype = Task AND assignee in (EMPTY) ORDER BY updated DESC

It looks like I can do it by enabling sprints in my next-gen projects and filtering tasks with empty sprints, but is there another way that does not involve enabling new feature? Hopefully there is some JQL flag that distinguishes board from backlog

I looked through automatically saved queries but did not see any queries for next-gen projects boards. Board queries generated for classic projects were filtering only by project name so they are not really helpful for filtering out backlog. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Olga

Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2020

Hi Olga,

You may use the sprint field like :

sprint not in openSprints () 

It should give you all issues that are not present in your active sprints, so present in the Backlog, don't you think?

Hope it helps !

Olga Tchuvatkina January 9, 2020

Hi @Thomas Magny-Garcia 

Sprints are not enabled in these projects so neither Sprint is not EMPTY nor sprint not in openSprints () will work, unfortunately.  Yet there is something other than sprints that distinguishes board from backlog, since Backlog can be enabled without enabling Sprints

Thanks!

JiraNextGen.png

Like Justin Kruger likes this
Daniel Miradakis February 4, 2021

@Olga Tchuvatkina I have the same question and am looking everywhere for an answer.

Like Anna likes this
Evert van Brussel September 13, 2022

Any updates on this? I need this too. I have a backlog and a board, but no sprints. So when I use a sprint-related filter in my JQL then I get zero results back...

Anna June 5, 2023

Same question here, any updates ? 

Thomas Magny-Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2023

Hello all,

I should ask the same question as @Bruce Reed What do you mean by Board?

As you aren't using Sprint, I guess you have a Backlog with all your tickets. You want to filter them to see only the important one for a specific use case for instance, using a Board (so a specific filter query) like this:Sans titre.png

If you want all your Backlog, without any Board, I guess you will have to use a filter query that doesn't match any of your Board filter Queries... I hope you have some common factors... It doesn't seem really easy to me :/

Hope it helps !

Suggest an answer