JQL Query for issues that contain a certain word

Michèle Page January 28, 2021

Hi,

I work in a scrum team where we are developing a mobile app on Android as well as on iOS. 

We work with Jira and separate the issues for the two platforms with different components ("iOS" and "Android") as well as with the prefix "i:" or "a:" ore sometimes "iOS:" or "Android:" in the summary.

I made some filters that I'm able to verify if the issues are properly created and maintained (ie all issues must have an epic, there is no remaining time left if an issue is closed etc).

Therefore I also made a filter to check if we have created an issue with the component "iOS" and start the summary with the prefix "a:" (which would be wrong) and vice versa.

Interestinlgy enough one of the two filters are working and the other doesn't.

Working filter:
project = MOBILE AND component = Android AND (summary ~ "iOS:" OR summary ~ "i:") AND Labels = mapps_3

Not working filter if summary starts with "a:", however it works when starting with "Android:")
project = MOBILE AND component = iOS AND (summary ~ "Android:" OR summary ~ "a:") AND Labels = mapps_3

Is there a reason why Jira is able to filter out issues which start with "i:" whereas it is not able to filter out issues which start with "a:"?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

@Michèle Page 

Welcome to the community.  Unfortunately a is a reserved word.  https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver073/search-syntax-for-text-fields-861257223.html

Reserved words

To keep the search index size and search performance optimal in JIRA, the following English reserved words (also known as 'stop words') are ignored from the search index and hence, JIRA's text search features:

"a", "and", "are", "as", "at", "be", "but", "by", "for", "if", "in", "into", "is", "it", "no", "not", "of", "on", "or", "such", "that", "the", "their", "then", "there", "these", "they", "this", "to", "was", "will", "with"

Michèle Page January 29, 2021

Hi @Brant Schroeder 

Thanks for the answer! I thought so, thanks for the confirmation! 

Suggest an answer