JMWE Validation for checking Single select List option

Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2019

Im trying to write a validation where is checks to see if the option "Other" is selected in the single selection list called test type list (cf_10619).  if option "other" is selected then test Type "Other" (cf_10620) is required, otherwise it is not required. 

So far i have tried the below - but this just returns a boolean that something has been selected from the the test type list (cf_10619) and that test type other (cf_10620) is not empty.

No matter which selection is made, this always requires Test Type "other" to be required

issue.customfield_10619.value == "Other" && !! issue.customfield_10620

using JWME and unfortunately im not a developer so im sure this is the basics of JS development that i do not know. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2019

After playing with this for a little i was able to get this to work by using the below code.  if anyone knows are more elegent way to do this, please let me know.

Code that worked:

issue.customfield_10619.value != "Other" || ( issue.customfield_10619.value == "Other" && !! issue.customfield_10620 )
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi Julian,

you can actually simplify your expression this way:

issue.customfield_10619.value != "Other" || !! issue.customfield_10620

because if the first part of the expression is false, it means that issue.customfield_10619.value == "Other" so you don't have to test it again.

Like Jhonattan Lima Campos likes this
Julian Governale
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 4, 2019

Thanks David, that simplified it a lot actually.  Thanks for the explanation as well!

Suggest an answer