JMWE Cloning an Epic and its Storys and Subtasks

Florian Kniep-Eibenstein September 2, 2022

He there,

is it possible to clone a epic and its stories and subtasks to another project (icludes the same relation and linked to the original epic)?

I tried the "Sequence of Post-functions" post-function with two "Create issue(s)" Post functions – but only the epic can be copied.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-02 um 18.28.20.png

I found this: https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/JMWEC/pages/1110605827/Advanced+configuration+and+usage+of+the+Create+issue+s+post-function#Cloning-an-issue-and-its-linked-issues

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/JMWE-Post-Function-Creates-Issue-but-errors-on-subtask-creation/qaq-p/1371265

Thanks for help and greetings

Florian

2 answers

1 vote
Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 6, 2022

Hello @Florian Kniep-Eibenstein 

If you don't mind testing another add-on, Elements Copy & Sync lets you do exactly what you need.

Full disclosure, I'm the Product Manager of the app, but the good news is that, as such, I'm pretty sure that we will be able to help you.

We have two options called "Copy full Epic Tree" and "Copy subtasks" that can be used together. When they are enabled, you can automatically trigger the copy of an Epic during a workflow transition, to any project you want. The full Epic will be copied with all its issues, and all the subtasks within these issues. The hierarchy will be the same.

As a bonus, you can also keep those Epics synchronized if you need to, so that any change made to the original Epic will be automatically synced to the copied Epic.

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

Florian Kniep-Eibenstein September 8, 2022

Hey Julien Peyrade @ Elements,

thank you for the recommendation!

However, it doesn't work as intended – the Epic are copied, but the storys and subtasks are ignored. I can't explain why - the settings are very simple. The Logs are empty.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-09-08 um 13.58.31.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-09-08 um 13.58.38.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-09-08 um 13.58.56.png

Another Apps (eg Clone Plus) works but without Workflow post function.

Greetings

Florian 

Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 8, 2022

Hello @Florian Kniep-Eibenstein 

Yes, I apologize, we had a little hiccup today.

Everything should work as expected now, the full Epic->Tasks->Subtasks tree will be copied by your recipe.

Sorry again for the unexpected back and forth.

Kind regards,

Julien

0 votes
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 3, 2022

Hello @Florian Kniep-Eibenstein 

You'll probably have more success if you post this question in the designated JMWE community area (using the tag addon-com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions)

Alternatively, just Google 'jira clone epic with child issues' to see all the other ways to achieve the outcome using other third party tools.

Florian Kniep-Eibenstein September 4, 2022

Hey @David Bakkers

thanks for the hint!

I've already looked at alternatives, but we're looking for a workflow solution. I'll take another look at the internal automation solution.

Suggest an answer