JIRA task resolution does not update according to post function

Elena-Alexandra Enache June 22, 2021

Hello,

I have browsed other discussions related to resolution vs task status issues and still have not found the answer.

I don't have server admin rights, in case this info si important.

So, the issue is the following: I have a simplified workflow, with several transitions, a part of them being allowed from ALL statuses. The transition from 'IN UAT' to 'DONE' works just fine, the resolution being set as 'Resolved' as per post function. This is the only status in which the resolution is 'Resolved'. I have another transition from 'ALL' to 'PENDING ANALYSIS', in which the resolution is set to 'Unresolved'. When I switch the status from 'DONE' to 'PENDING ANALYSIS' the resolution remains 'Resolved', despite the post function attached to this transition, and I have no idea why or what to do in order to solve this issue. It affects all my reports.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

>n which the resolution is set to 'Unresolved'.

Ok, this may be an interpretation, or it may be the root of the problem.

Could you look again at the workflow transition and tell us exactly how the post-function that sets the resolution is described?  Is it literally "resolution will be set to Unresolved"?

Yes, this is exactly how the post function is defined: the Resolution field is set to Unresolved.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 22, 2021

Ok, I suspect you've had an inexperienced admin make an understandable mistake.

You should never set the resolution to unresolved, it should be cleared out completely.  Jira thinks "resolution empty = unresolved, resolution has any value (including "unresolved") = resolved"

So, if I am right here, the fix is (as an admin):

1. Go to Admin -> Issues -> Resolutions
  2. Find the resolution called "Unresolved" and rename it to something like "do not use this"
  3. Now go to your workflow and edit that transition again
  4. Remove the post-function that says "set resolution to unresolved" (it should now say "set resolution to do not use this")
  5. Add a new post function in the same place, selecting
    1. Update issue field
    2. Resolution as the field to update
    3. <none> as the value to set (it's the first entry on the selection list)
  6. When you save this, the post-function description should be something similar to "the resolution will be cleared"

Save it

Note: step 2 is where it goes wrong if my guess is wrong.   It looks like you have "Unresolved" on the list of resolutions.  If you do not, then it's something else!

The fix I've given above will stop things getting worse, and if you re-open issues, it will fix the resolution too.  But your existing issues now using "do not use me" may also need fixing.

Hey,

So, if I understood correctly, null value for Resolution field is interpreted by JIRA automatically as UNRESOLVED so there is no need to explicitly set it like that, correct?

You are right, the JIRA admins have absolutely no experience related to resolutions, they set the post functions at my instructions so I will just give them new instructions.

Thank you very much!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 22, 2021

Correct, an empty value in the table = unresolved, any other content (whatever it's called) = resolved

If you follow the stuff I wrote above, you will fix most of it, but you will be left with issues with "do not use this" as the resolution.  You may want to run a search for that to see the extent of the problem with old issues.  If it's not bad, or easily fixed with a few re-open type actions, then you'll be able to remove it from the list of resolutions safely.  If there are a lot, you might want to work through them before killing it off.

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2023

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I learnt something new today. I was looking for changing the resolution  for some time  and finally found it. Thanks for sharing this answer.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer