JIRA subtasks and git feature branch

Patrick Baker March 19, 2014

What is the best practice for branching / commit messages when using JIRA issues with subtasks. I typically create a user story and break that story down into technical tasks. However, I was curious how commit messages / feature branching should work so the source tab links up correctly.

Currently I do a bunch of work which results in multiple commits in a feature branch. Once the feature is complete I squash the commits and ensure the commit message references the user story.

Just looking for some best practices...

2 answers

0 votes
ahmad.afraz May 18, 2020

@ThiagoBomfim Hi, can you elaborate a bit about, how to create sub-task branches?
Let say I have created a new feature branch from develop as feature/add-a-user. Now, what is the best convention of creating a sub-task branch from this feature?

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 24, 2014

Hi ipcove.

I think you might be referring to the explanation we give on the JIRA integration document. Basically:

- Any JIRA issue key you mention on your commit messages will be automatically linked in Stash to your JIRA. Stash recognizes a defaul JIRA issue key style as described on the Using custom JIRA issue keys with Stash document.

- The counterpart is that the issue keys on JIRA will pick up all the commits in Stash associated with that JIRA issue key (in your case, there will be an issue key for each story you create).

Does it make sense to you now? I believe the best practice on how to create those issues will be more to you. Stash/JIRA integration will do the rest of the trick to organise the commits/JIRA issue keys for you.

Best regards,

Thiago Bomfim

Atlassian Support - DevTools

Suggest an answer