JIRA standard project filter - Recently resolved/updated/view filter do not seem to work

Jonathan De Bondt January 18, 2021

Hi there,

I found that the recently updated/resolved/view filter from the projects standard issue filters do not filter the results correctly when performing the search from the "issue" section from a given project.

Jira issue section of project.PNG

I have attached a few snippet from a demo project i created that shows the results of the 3 filters. All filters filter out the same data even though they do not meet the criteria of the filter.

None are resolved

None have been updated recently

None have been viewed recently

JIRA standard filters - Recently viewed.PNGJIRA standard filters - Recently updated.PNGJIRA standard filters - Recently resolved.PNG

When performing the search from the advanced section filters the results are filtered correctly.

Seeing as they currently don't work for us, is there a way to remove these filters? I have tried to look in the general settings but could not find it.

Am i missing something here or this just a bug?

Kind regards,

Jonathan

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Hi Jonathan,

the filters cannot be disabled at their place in navigation (where you seem them).

For a deeper understanding on what is happening here a knowledge of how you handled the issues would be necessary:

1. By a JQL query: which "updated" timestamp does the issue (for example) D2-4 show up?
  2. between D2-5 and D2-22138 are a huge gap. Are the issues "in between" still there or have they been deleted? This is to better understand if the filter applies to all issues or if a huge amount is not displayed by this filter.
  3. has there been an import of issues lately (just a theory that the system was not able yet to catch up for some thousand issues)?
  4. is this happening to all of your team members?
  5. is this also happening after a browser refresh and/or a short crosscheck with a different browser?

Let us hear from you!

Regards,
Daniel

Jonathan De Bondt January 19, 2021

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for the quick reply on this.

In below attachment you can see all the update timestamp of the various tickets.

JIRA standard filters - Advanced search.PNG

This project was previously used to test an import from a different platform but only one ticket (D2-22138) was imported as a test. The tickets shown are the only tickets present inside the project.

The issue however isn't link to just this project, it happens to all our projects and to at least 3 users (myself included) but I have not asked the rest but will update once i asked.

Issue persists on different browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Google chrom

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2021

Some very basic question - but the best guess to get to the bottom of the case if you allow.

• Could you please check for "Updated recently" if the JQL query indeed expands to:
    updated >= -1w order by updated DESC
    (you can switch to "Advanced" mode and it will show you the JQL)
  • If so, could you please check in history with the found issues if there is some Automation rule that could have changed something in the issues?
    • and/or a more general question: do you also use Automation rules on the D2?
  • If this all can be excluded, I think, this is something Atlassian support should be notified about

Let us hear from you as soon as you find something out.

Jonathan De Bondt January 19, 2021

Hey Daniel,

Made a video but can't upload it so we will have to make due with photos.

It seems like the filters are just sorting the issues by resolved/viewed and updated times for some reason. As the JQL query isn't shown from the issue section i received the results in the attached snippets by selecting the filter from the project's issue section and then pressing "go to advanced search" button in the upper right corner.

The project does not use any automation but i checked the history of all tickets to make sure and did not see any automation records as such.

JIRA standard filters - Updated.PNGJIRA standard filters - Resolved.PNGJIRA standard filters - LastViewed.PNG

Thanks,,

Jonathan

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2021

Wow, this came unexpected. Let's focus on the first screenshot. There is clearly missing the restriction as to the usual "one week looking back" period of time.
Or, in other words, Jira behaves correctly - as there is no time selection in the query.

I have never seen such. How come this part of the query is missing?

Now for the second screenshot. Clearly, also the time selection in the query is missing.

We don't need to look further because that way it won't work any different way - formally Jira gives back what the user requests.
Could you please raise this with Atlassian support?

I have never encountered something else than:

Created recently = created >= -1w order by created DESC
Resolved recently = resolutiondate >= -1w order by updated DESC
Updated recently = updated >= -1w order by updated DESC
Viewed recently = issuekey in issueHistory() order by lastViewed DESC

Please update us on the results!

Regards,
Daniel

Jonathan De Bondt January 20, 2021

Cheers Daniel for the help!

I just created a support ticket and will let you know what the outcome was.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Jonathan De Bondt March 1, 2021

Hey Daniel,

Just got an update from Atlassian confirming that it is a bug so they created a ticket. Ticket status is said to be in "short term backlog" so hopefully it will get solved pretty soon.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76054

Thanks again for the help!

Kind regards,

Jonathan

Like Daniel Ebers likes this
0 votes
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 18, 2021

Hello,
Interesting find.!

I see is that every time I select the built-in click (viewed recently, created recently) by default it takes all projects as the search input.

but when I change it in the search bar to my project, I get my required result.

NOTE: I checked it in Jira Server.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events