JIRA not sending out notifications

adeninesolutions July 21, 2011

For whatever reason JIRA is not sending out any notifications by email. I have checked my email settings and they are correct (sending a test email work perfectly) and my notification scheme is set to the default one (for all my projects). I took a look at the log but dont see anything in there that would cause this behavior... What else should I check as this is driving me insane...

4 answers

0 votes
Daniel Wester July 22, 2011

Have you added any new plugins recently? We had a plugin that blocked the services from running and caused the same thing.

0 votes
J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2011

Do you have anything in the mail queue? If so, can you flush it manually? Are there any errors? Is this a new problem ie did they used to work?

Sometimes our Mail Service stops - we haven't managed to figure out why (although we suspect it may be related to a plugin). We can still manually flush emails and there are no errors but they don't get sent automatically. It also affects other services eg Jelly. If you've the same problem it's fixed by a restart.

(I guess I don't type as fast as fast as Matthew!)

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2011

I know the feeling... the 1st answer wasn't there when I started!

I am afraid to send out 480 emails at the same time (some going to my clients). Anyway to clear this out and start from scratch?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

A server restart? This says they are held in memory.

http://forums.atlassian.com/message.jspa?messageID=257358474

J Thomas
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

Do they send OK when you flush the queue?

Mail queu has 400+ items in it, why arent they being sent? Error queue has 0

That did it, thanks all

0 votes
Jon Cotter
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

If you have modified your workflows or created a new workflow, you should verify that the Events you are triggering are represented in your Notification Scheme.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

Have you checked your mail Queue? (Administration > Mail Queue, under System right down the bottom)

When you do something in Jira which sends an email you should see it turn up in the Mail Queue before the scheduler picks it up.

Is there anything in the Error Queue?

Have you also checked your mail service is running & how often? Administration > services.

Mail Queue Service
com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailQueueService

What's the figure on the right hand side? That's how many minutes between activations & clearing out the Mail Queue.

Wow my mail queue has like 400 items in it. why arent they being sent out? Error queue is 0

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011

Did you check the mail service? Is it running?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 21, 2011
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2011

how did you go? you've probably cleared the queue but if the underlying problem wasn't fixed then it could start again. somestimes I've seen specific emails or subscriptions cause an issue.

Jim Birch
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 24, 2011

We get this every now and then, like a couple of times a year a year. I've found that a Jira restart is sometimes requiredd to get the queue going again. Other option is to go to Admin/Services/Mail Queue Service/Edit and resave the service.

Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 24, 2011

Just up-voted Matthew's comment about OutOfMemoryExceptions. That's usually what it is.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events