JIRA is adding new Sprint to Closed tickets

Denys Kovalenko March 6, 2017

Hello,

Somehow every new sprint, we have existing CLOSED tickets that get transferred to the new Sprint.

It is happening, when someone is closing old Sprint and opening new Sprint.

Thanks,

Denys.

7 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2017

Have a look at one of these "closed" issues.  Were they in the far right hand column of the board when the sprint was closed (look at the status at the time of closing and the board column mapping).  Also, did they have one or more sub-tasks?  If they do have sub-tasks, check the same for the sub-tasks - were they in the far-right hand column too?

Denys Kovalenko March 7, 2017

Statuses "Closed" and "Resolved" are Unmapped in Board. Column "Done" contain tickets only with status "Ready for Release". Tickets had been closed before Sprint has been closed. Such tickets have sub-tasks and/or linked issues which are not "Closed" but "Ready for Release"/"Opened". Also i have found tasks which are in progress and moved to new sprint, those tasks contain sub-tasks in "Opened" and "Ready for Release" states, all those sub-tasks also automatically moved to new Sprint.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2017

Right, that makes sense.

For an issue to be seen as closed by a sprint, it has to be in the right-hand column of a board.

Your closed and resolved issues, and the ones that have sub-tasks that are not done, are moved to the new sprint because you've told JIRA they are not done.

6 votes
Marisa Hager May 29, 2018

I actually have the exact same problem, BUT my board has the a done column with all the closed and resolved tickets mapped correctly.  Basically the sprint closed, a new sprint was started and over 200 tickets that were closed from months ago (several sprints past) somehow were added to the new sprint automatically.  I checked the history in the individual tickets and none of them have an action listed that put them in the new sprint.  And the board filter hasn't changed and there's nothing in the audit log to explain how it happened.  Very concerning that we have to manually update each individual ticket since bulk update doesn't allow us to remove one value from a series of sprint values per ticket :(

Rebecca Zeus October 11, 2018

My team is experiencing this issue too and it's beginning to cause problems.  A solution to this would be great.  We can't even see these random other tickets that are going to be added before we start the sprint, because they're not even listed in the filter of the board we're creating the sprint from (because the random tickets are from another project).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2018

Jira only has two ways to add issues to a sprint:

1.  A human adds them

2.  You close the previous sprint with issues not in the most right hand column

One of those two has happened.  2 often confuses people if they reconfigure columns though.

Rebecca Zeus October 14, 2018

Hi Nic,

Unfortunately, you're wrong, it's not that simple.

There are tickets which have been closed / done / resolved from other projects being added to newly created sprints.

I've checked other solutions which have suggested the mapping of statuses and it all looks to be correct.

The other problems is that somehow we're getting crossover, i.e. tickets from  project B are somehow ending up in a new sprint of project A.  How can we groom our backlog and plan upcoming sprints if they are continually getting messed up?

Cheers,

Rebecca

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2019

Mmm, that's "a human adds them".  There's nothing being messed up here, other than your users doing things you don't want.

Mimi Gluch July 5, 2019

This is super frustrating as I have recently been encountering this problem as well. When planning for upcoming sprints, I'll create an 'on deck' sort of sprint to start bucketing items for the next sprint as we're planning and grooming our backlog.

For some reason, issues that are in a completely different project (one that hasn't been used in 3 years), are getting added to these sprints. Looking at the detailed activity history on the affected ticket, it only shows the sprint value being blank then another line item that says I added it to the sprint. I did not do this! I can't even remove the sprint value since it's not even a configured value for the affected ticket. Makes no sense at all. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2019

Your board filter is including these old issues somehow, and your board is configured to not see them as "done".

Rebecca Zeus July 7, 2019

Hi Mimi,  unfortunately despite all the people reporting they have this issue even with the correct board settings advised by Jira, the Jira folks seem unable to accept that there is an underlying issue here that needs investigation and resolving (please Nic, do investigate this continuing bug).

The biggest thing I've found that helps is always ensuring there is a pending backlog/grooming sprint to send any unresolved tickets to when closing the current active sprint.  We've had zero crossover/unexpected tickets since using this approach (and I can clearly see it still happening when someone forgets).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Rebecca

Like arun kumar likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2019

I'm not seeing a bug here, all the evidence shown so far is that the boards are not set up correctly.   (and I'm not an Atlassian, so I won't be looking at it)

Katarzyna Brzezińska November 2, 2021

Hi Nic,

I've got the same problem (or very similar).

Firsts problems was about that opened issue was NOT moving to new sprint.
I closed sprint with tickets in status "Open", "In progress", "On hold" and "Resolved/Closed".
Tickets with opening statuses went to backlog, to the sprint which was not starting. Not to the one which I have started (and had chosen).
So every ticket which I wanted to have in New Sprint I had to add by myself. It is a bug, because when you have closing sprint it's always asked 'where you want to move open issues to'. And I had chosen New Sprint. But every tickets went to few different sprints (without any logical).
Tickets with closed statuses were in backlog as closed (and it was ok).

Today a new problem arrived.
I did nothing with problem above. And it has solved partialy by itself.

Every single tickets went to new chose sprint. Every means also with status "Resolved/Closed".
I have change nothing with my board. Any set ups was the same, as it statuses.

Do you have any ideas where is the problem?

Thanks,

Katarzyna

2 votes
Artem Fomin September 11, 2019

I am looking at the same issue right now.

- A bunch of closed tickets that have not been modified in a long time were added to a newly created sprint.

- Modification date has not changed (old tickets still show 2018 as updated/resolved).

- Issue Activity does not show any recent change in values for Sprint field.

- Old issues turn up in the right most column based on their status.

- No subtasks in many of these old issues.

Octavian Stanciu November 12, 2019

We're experiencing the exact same issue

Geert-Jan Willemse November 12, 2019

Hi,

We are phasing exactly this problem. Out of the blue very old tickets (about 60) show up in the just started sprint in the done column. The shown tickets are about two years old. Opening such an old ticket does not show any modification in the history for the last years. I see for example ticket-64 while creating a new one today will be ticket-2978 
If I look at the 'Sprint' value of ticket-64 it shows the name of the current sprint what is: "Sprint 86 wk46_47" 
The string "Sprint 86 wk46_47" did not exist at the time ticket-64 was actual and now it is suddenly filled in. So, to me this looks like Jira is applying changes to its internal database by mistake. A bug. It seems to happen at sprint closure. The updated tickets are not related to the closed sprint or the backlog. The modification are done without a trace, at least not on user level since history is not changed at all.

I really hope this ticket, defect report, is taken seriously   

Thanks, Geert-Jan

1 vote
imqamarabbas November 25, 2021

I'm facing the same issue. 

Tickets are marked as Done 
Done Column is on the most right 
No recent activity was done on the ticket  before starting the sprint 
I've also verified my board filters 
No sub tasks / linked tasks are in open status and they're also in the most right column

Still I'm seeing a few closed tickets in my new open sprint. Technically it should not be the case and I'm out of options atm. Any help will be appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 25, 2021

You need to re-check the configuration.  Can you pick an issue that has gone wrong and show us

• The board filter
  • The board column configuration
  • The issue view (just the main system fields, and feel free to obscure text in summary/description etc)
  • How it appears in the previous sprint
  • How it appears in the sprint it shouldn't be in

Also can you confirm this is happening when you close the initial sprint?

1 vote
Richard Cook May 17, 2021

Not sure if this helps everyone. We have our JIRA instance connected to our JIRA Align instance. And what we found is if a Feature in JIRA Align is moved from one Program Increment (PI) to another, it is moving the accepted stories under that feature to a sprint a couple of weeks out. So the ticket was updated on 4/28 and it moved it to our already created sprint of 5/17-5/23. So this is definitely NOT an issue with our board setup. We have a ticket in with Atlassian on it. 

arun kumar July 27, 2021

Hello Richard,

Did you get any update from Atlassian?

In my team also I am facing same issue.

Its not a manual error for sure.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2021

I don't think this is quite the same problem as the rest of the conversation was about.  I suspect the board setup here is correct, and it's Align (rather than a human) moving things to the wrong place.

1 vote
Rachiel Vasquez March 19, 2020

This is happening to me every time I'm starting new sprint. @Bloomberg Industry Group please fix this issue. We don't want any random closed tickets to be added to the newly started sprint. After all the sprint planning and ensuring we've reviewed every single ticket so the report will be organised. But this issue is really undermines that. Please fix this asap. Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2020

There is nothing for Atlassian to fix here.  You might need to fix your board configuration though.

The issues being added to the new sprint are added when you close the last sprint with issues that are not "done" (they and all their sub-tasks are in the last column of the board)

Radka Svobodova August 6, 2020

yes, we have the same issue, and yes, there is a bug needs to be fixed, configuration of board is ok, the issues are seen to be closed in old sprint reports. and nobody moved them there manually, also history sais none did it! so pleas stop saying there is no issue when there obviously is.

Furqan Ud Din January 27, 2021

Still facing the same issue, any resolution found so far?

Aiman Arif Ansari June 30, 2021

We are still experiencing this issue. Any update on the bug?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2021

There is no bug here, it's down to the configuration of your board and issues not being in the done column. 

The issues I've seen raised with Atlassian on this have all come back to the config of the board and issues, or integrations doing unexpected things.

0 votes
Marielle Gomez April 9, 2019

Hi, I do not want to have Closed / Done and Resolved tickets in the same column because it is different - is there not a way for having all three different statuses in one column and still dont make them to be transfered to the next sprint? 

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  @Rebecca Zeus  @Marisa Hager 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2019

No, the done column is the definition of done.  If you want something to transfer to the next sprint, it must be in another column.

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question