JIRA high memory utilisation

GG May 31, 2020

Hi,

Our JIRA instance uses more than 80% of system memory. 

It is not normal operation. How can i decrease memory utilisation?

Regards

Hamid 

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Uninistall apps, reduce the number of custom fields, users and projects you have.  Simplify everything as far as you can.

Jira is a memory hungry application (because it does doe much).  My question would not be about "Jira taking too much memory", but about whether you're running it on a machine suited for it.  What heap size have you allocated, and what level of usage are you?  (number of users and issues generally is the starting point for sizing)

GG May 31, 2020

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your reply. i have 100 GB memory in jira server!. About 90% of jvm is free(used: 2396 MB total:622222). There are about 3,000 users and 40000 issues.

What is resolution to decrease memory usage?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

You don't have a memory usage problem if the JVM is showing 90% free. 

What is the actual problem you are worried about here?

GG June 1, 2020

Windows server task manager show memory utilization 98% and system operation is slow.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2020

If the JVM is showing 90% free, then the problem is elsewhere.

My guess here is that you've set the heap size too large for Jira and that is crowding out other processes Windows is trying to run, leading to a lot of swapping and CPU use dealing with it.

You say you've got 100Gb memory on the server, so that's half a question answered, but can you tell us the maximum heap size actually set for Jira? 

GG June 1, 2020

I set max on 70000

tomcat8.exe.x64 service uses high memory

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2020

These numbers are really not making a lot of sense.  Some of them are implying that you have a huge amount of memory, and not using it, and others are exceeding what you say you have in other areas.

Could you give us a consistently scaled numbers?  Put units on them, tell us where they are seen and set.

To keep it as simple as possible, could you tell us what the server reports as the total physical (not swap) memory fitted in the machine, including the units it reports in.

Then can you tell us what you have set for the heap sizing giving us the actual numbers used and where you think you are setting them.  For example, the standard way to set a heap is in setenv.sh or setenv.bat where you will find lines that includes things like -Xms1024m and -Xmx1024m - could you show us these, if that's where you've set them.

Finally, a screenshot of the memory usage area in "system info" inside Jira would be useful too.

GG June 1, 2020

What does it means “consistently scaled numbers”?

Server availlable MBytes is 70232000 

Memory is 98304MB

JVM_MINIMUM_MEMORY=384m

JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY=70000

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2020

On the second line, 70000 what?  What is the scale for it?

For your size Jira, I would set the maximum at 4096m or possibly up to 8192m.

GG June 1, 2020

44000 issues

914 custom fields

60 issue types

56 screen schemes

81 screens

48 workflows

397 groups

44 issue security levels

Do you recommend set to 8192?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2020

As I said, I'd start eith 4096m

GG June 1, 2020

Thanks 

0 votes
GG May 31, 2020

now 98%!!

Suggest an answer