It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIRA for only private purposes free?

Marcel Fritsch May 11, 2014

I got word that the use of JIRA for only private purposes is free of charge.

I only use JIRA for me and my wife.

Is this correct and what do you need to verify the private usage.

3 answers

2 votes
codelab expert May 11, 2014

No, this is not right. You need a license in any case. In your case you need a starter license (1-10 users) for $10. Please read https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/jira

2 votes
Fabio Racobaldo [Herzum] Community Leader May 11, 2014

Hello Marcel,

All atlassian tools are free free for use by official not for profit organisations and charities, not for private purposes. As Mathias said, you need 10 users license.

Regards,

Fabio

Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Community Leader May 11, 2014

Secular charities by the way.

Also, if you just buy the $10 licence, that money all goes to a reading charity, which is nice too.

Like Benjamin Trolte likes this
Joe Chiejina Jan 18, 2019

Definitely,

I will do that later.  I volunteer for Heart and Stroke, and Habitat for humanity. My wife makes monthly payment to sick kids

1 vote
Jim Conaty Atlassian Team May 11, 2014

Hi Marcel,

We used to offer a free 3 user license years ago, but we discontiued that when we introduced the Starter License program in 2009. All the proceeds from the $10 licenses goes to Room to Read to build reading rooms and libraries for children.

Moises Romero Dec 01, 2014

Hi all!

A question related to this issue.

If I want to buy a starter license for private use at home I have to fill the company information too.

The field in the form are mandatory.

But I don't have any company. Should I write something like "-" in all fields related to the company

Thank you in advance!!

Jim Conaty Atlassian Team Dec 01, 2014

Hi Moises,

The field is mandatory, it is used for licensing. You'll then want to put your name in the field so it can licensed to you.

I hope this explains.

Jim Conaty

Joe Chiejina Jan 18, 2019

Thanks for tis opportunity. I am trying to personally learn the use of JIRA.

I will try to practice it with fictitious projects. I will not use it for any commercial purpose . This has to be practiced only in my home

Kind regards,

Joe Chiejina

Like Precis Mizrahi likes this
Alan Johnson Jan 27, 2019

You can also use Zoho.  They do have a free tier for 3 users or less.  I do wish Jira still had this feature for us (very) small businesses, or personal use (hard to pay $10 a month when you are starting out and not making money, only spending it).

Guru Pandit I'm New Here May 08, 2019

There are many other software out there that can be used for your purposes. Start with Trello, although even that is acquired by Atlassian now, it still can be used for the free use purpose.

Just use the search term JIRA alternative in Google

Suggest an answer

This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
Community showcase
Published in Jira

Try Jira Cloud for Outlook: Organize your work without leaving your inbox

Hi Atlassian community, My name is Max and I work on the product integration team at Atlassian. I am pleased to announce the early access program for the Jira Cloud add-in for Outlook. This add-in...

1,789 views 3 15
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you