JIRA filters not saving

Trish Skrapits October 8, 2019

I'm experiencing an issue saving filters for my boards. After I make the update and select search, I am able to click save and the system yields a validation message, but the filter still indicates "edited" and the query is not saved. 

I checked the response, which yields a 400 with {"errorMessages":["jqlTooComplex"],"errors":{}}

It does not seem to be a complex query:

project = TAX AND (issuetype not in ("Test Set", Precondition, "Sub Test Execution", Test, "Test Execution", "Test Plan", "Code Review Task") OR (issuetype = "Code Review Task" AND status not in ("Completed - Pass", "Completed - Refactor Required", Removed))) ORDER BY Rank ASC

JQL_too_complex.png

I don't trust order of operations on queries like this and so may have redundant parens -- if there is a different way to write this, then I would appreciate the feedback.

Also, I will figure out where to submit the bug for the false positive on save...

2 answers

0 votes
Hesham Fawaz January 26, 2024

I guess you made the same mistake you bookmarked the filter on the browser and then it took with it the parameters that you filter with in the link and each time you change it, it gets saved but you request another version from the filter !

Make sure to bookmark till issues/?filter=xxxxxx and anything after then must be deleted ;)
Thank me later :)

0 votes
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2019

Hi Trish,

Thanks for reaching out, and pointing this out.

I think the jqlTooComplex is a red herring and possible false positive here and unrelated to the edit directly, I'm still trying to track that particular error down but I am not able to reproduce it locally in my tests so far, but looks very similar to the behavior described in the following BUG for jira Server that occurs on a JQL that takes too long to return a result set, which may be the causal factor as my tests are against a small data sample for the results and may just not be timing out in the same way:

But, I just want to confirm if the save is actually saving the filter in your case even though you get the 400 error.

While I was testing this out on my staging system I found that the change is saved correctly on the board filter for me and just the "edited" notation is left behind.  I also found that  there is a difference between clicking on the search button with your mouse and hitting enter/return key to submit the changes to the search query before you save as to wether the Edited element stays or goes away after saving.

Hit Enter and then save and the Edited element stays behind, but if you Click search with your mouse and then save the edited element will go away after you save.  And I created the following Bug report so we can follow up on this:

Can you verify if you are seeing the same results, and if the jqlTooComplex error goes away when doing this as well?

Regards,
Earl

Suggest an answer