JIRA filter on exact date

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2012

Hi there,

I just stumbled upon a problem which I haven't encountered before regarding filtering JIRA issues via JQL. Usually I like filtering for a specific period of time (i.e. issue due in the next 7 days etc.) Now a customer created a filter like

project = 'XYZ' and dueDate = '2012-02-20'

The problem is that no issues are being displayed even if they exist.

Am I missing something here?

Thx for your help

Christian

P.S. date values are set to default

5 answers

1 accepted

11 votes
Answer accepted
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2012

Hi ,

Which version of Jira are you using ? for 4.4.4 you need to use YYYY//MM/DD format for duedate . for example duedate="2012/03/01" . dont forget the quotes :)

Andrew Frayling
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2012

Hi Christian,

Single quotes, double quotes, /'s, -'s should all work (tested on local JIRA 5 instance). Stab in the dark, could it be an indexing problem? Is it possible to re-index and try again?

Andrew.

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2012

Hi, I'm usig JIRA 5.0 but we've tested the query in older version as well with no results...Single quotes, double quotes. I'll keep trying and keep u informed

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2012

I have tried re-indexig with no results. hat I wanted (as an example) are the issues created on Feb 27.

No results for this query:

createdDate = "2012-02-27"

All the relevant issues after this query:

createdDate >= "2012-02-27" and createdDate < "2012-02-28"

Like # people like this
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2012

And we thought you were asking bout dueDate! dueDate and createdDate are different.

dueDate only stores the date and hence you can use = in the JQL to search issues due on a date. createdDate stores time as well and hence = will work only if you include the exact time. You need to use > <= symbols as you have done above to get issues created on a date.

Like # people like this
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 1, 2012

Thank you guys. In SQL I would need something like a datepart to get the date. So now I know that "createdDate" is a timestamp... I thought of that before and tried to test the query against dueDate which didn't produce any results either. THAT must have been an indexing problem and I thought it was a general probem I was facing!

cheers

Christian

2 votes
Igor Rodrigues February 21, 2014

To restrict your search by a specific date you need to follow this:

DD = The actual date you want to have results for

DD+1 = The actual date you want + 1

Obviously, if DD is 31, for instance, DD+1 will be 1 and you'll need to update the MM to MM+1, same for YYYY - i.e.: Date you want: 2014-12-31; 2nd date will be: 2015-01-01

createdDate >= "YYYY-MM-DD" and createdDate < "YYYY-MM-DD+1"

0 votes
Kundan Mukherjee March 31, 2020

The below worked for me in JIRA 8.8.0

....AND dueDate >= 2020-3-1 AND dueDate <= 2020-3-31

0 votes
Ahmed Gehad April 10, 2019

You can send the value for field 'createdDate' in formats such as: 'yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm', 'yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm', 'yyyy/MM/dd', 'yyyy-MM-dd', or a period format e.g. '-5d', '4w 2d'.

0 votes
Filipe February 25, 2014

Hi Cristian,

Can i suggest :

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pt.lt.lfcribeiro.jira.jqlLTFunctions

Thers a function "ExecuteQuery()" that lets you run a SQL statement.

Regards,

Suggest an answer