JIRA custom field: How to make it mandatory

Jeffrey Luna September 30, 2019

Hi JIRA experts,

Good day!

I would like to ask if there's an option to make a custom field mandatory when creating an issue? We are using JIRA 7.6.3.

Thanks,

Jeffrey

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

Hi @Jeffrey Luna 

In my experience, using many different fields configurations ends being a mess (I guess if you do it thinking carefully, documenting, etc it can work fine)

I use JSU, but for that simple requirement there are free add-ons that can save you, i.e. 

AM Utils

Jeffrey Luna October 1, 2019

Thank you @fran garcia gomera

I will try to explore AM Utils. For now, I created new field config scheme and still validating if it works and don't affect other screens.

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2019

Field schemes is going to work without problem, just be careful to have everything well documented and organised for further maintenance, it can become a pain in the....

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2019

Yes. The best way is to use a Validator on the Create transition in the workflow. Edit the workflow, open the Create transition and click on Validator then add Validator. Use the custome Issue field required function.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the reply. I am not able to see the validator for custom field. Please help. Thank you!

2019-10-01_11-06-32.png

I believe we need to install the JSU (JIRA Suite Utilities) to make it work. How about creating new field configuration schemes? Thank you!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

Sorry I misspoke here. Use the Field required Validator. Yes add JSU.

DE2E9EC1-5498-40C8-A292-A2A4C44D8BA3.jpeg

Jeffrey Luna October 1, 2019

Thanks @Jack Brickey

I will try this one also. For now, I created field config schemr and still validating if its going to work fine. 

0 votes
Denise_Wuethrich_beecom_products October 4, 2019

Hi, Jeffrey. 

AM Utils is also not free. It has free trial. But like JSU, you need to buy the app.

JSU can configure workflows without coding and has an easy-to-use interface that eliminates tedious coding and time-consuming testing, debugging, and error-fixing. You may also easily create field conditions that won't affect other screens. Perhaps you could find out more on this link:  https://confluence-apps.beecom.ch/display/JSU/JSU+Configuration+Guide

Jeffrey Luna October 4, 2019

Thank you for the information @Denise_Wuethrich_beecom_products

For now, I created new field config scheme and still validating if it works and don't affect other screens.

Suggest an answer